Here she is!

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Here she is!

Post by KrispyKDX »

Hello all,
I took my new 220R home today and I’m pretty happy. It is a clean bike. Like mentionned in a previous thread, I know the cylinder was hone. I will remove the head to inspect. I did test the KIPS and it does NOT move at all! When I test it with the side cover off to see if it moves it does not and there is a small amount of smoke coming out. I hope not too much damages but we’ll see! The last owner was running very rich on oil! Not taking care of the ratio…mixing with his eyes….so I imagine it was more than enough oil!
Going on a snowmobile trip next week so I’ll tackle that when I come back. I’ll post what I find and probably be looking for your advices! :grin:
Attachments
B39B8059-3D9C-4D08-8061-BB8F542CDA3B.jpeg
B39B8059-3D9C-4D08-8061-BB8F542CDA3B.jpeg (121.38 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
6633445F-33D0-45CA-86CE-501E013A980C.jpeg
6633445F-33D0-45CA-86CE-501E013A980C.jpeg (126.7 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: Here she is!

Post by Slick_Nick »

Nice! Looks mostly all original! 2001? Is this the one that was for sale up in Edmonton?
'00 KDX 220R
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by KrispyKDX »

It is a 2002. In Quebec. There are hard to find around here!
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

She’s a beaut! Those power valves will clean right up and be good as new - hopefully they aren’t broken, but if they are Fredette usually has them in stock.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Super nice original bike! It should be a runner!

Follow the service manual precisely when removing the KIPS linkage! of course, that's probably what's wrong with the KIPS. When they did the top end they more than likely didn't support the shaft and broke the KIPS governor pin.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The nut is LH threads. Many suggest to keep the arm held steady with an open wrench or adjustable wrench when removing the nut.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by KrispyKDX »

Guys thanks for the advices. I have a minor dilemma now.
I am going to enjoy this bike not modded for a while no doubt but I expect to want more power out of it in the future. This is how it has been with all my engine toys. So I will want the bike to grow with me but there is absolutely no rush for that now. However I am a little concerned by what seem to begin as a low availability for mods and/or aftermarket parts. These machines are aging and the market is limited so the offer follows that of course. So here it is:
FMF desert pipe: did not find any new stock in Canada. Do you suggest I order it from the USA while still available in some places?
Head mod: I got RB willing to do it but says he does not do business outside the USA (!!) Fredette as an alternative? Any risk Fredette stops making it in the short term?
Carb: Fredette again?
Ideally I would run the bike clean and stock for this summer and have these mods been performed next winter. That would give me the chance to learn the bike. What’s good with it what’s not so good and then evaluate more precisely where to invest.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Canada sucks for parts in general. You're close to F9, but even though they offer free shipping I still normally order from RMATV. RB won't ship to canada, but you could just buy a new air striker from sudco instead, not the same but better than stock.

If you've found somewhere with a desert pipe in stock, BUY IT NOW they are becoming harder to find.
'00 KDX 220R
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

The bike looks great! Amazing find. Good luck with it.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

KrispyKDX wrote: 11:34 am Feb 22 2022 Guys thanks for the advices. I have a minor dilemma now.
I am going to enjoy this bike not modded for a while no doubt but I expect to want more power out of it in the future. This is how it has been with all my engine toys. So I will want the bike to grow with me but there is absolutely no rush for that now. However I am a little concerned by what seem to begin as a low availability for mods and/or aftermarket parts. These machines are aging and the market is limited so the offer follows that of course. So here it is:
FMF desert pipe: did not find any new stock in Canada. Do you suggest I order it from the USA while still available in some places?
Head mod: I got RB willing to do it but says he does not do business outside the USA (!!) Fredette as an alternative? Any risk Fredette stops making it in the short term?
Carb: Fredette again?
Ideally I would run the bike clean and stock for this summer and have these mods been performed next winter. That would give me the chance to learn the bike. What’s good with it what’s not so good and then evaluate more precisely where to invest.
Last I knew the FMF desert and woods pipes were still being made by them. I know they'll discontinue them at some point but that hasn't happened yet that I'm aware of.

Millennium does head milling or any reputable shop that does porting and such should be able to set the squish properly on the head. Maybe one of our US members could help you out with shipping up there if you buy from RB. I can tell you that I personally think RB's carbs are better than anyone else out there and choose it over all others.

As for power mods there are actually quite a few. Head squish/higher compression, porting, pipes, Vforce/Boyesen reed cage setups, all sorts of different carbs and carb mods, high performance adjustable CDI ignition systems (I highly recommend the WOPR cdi from Wild Azz Racing! :busted:), hotter ignition coil, better plug wire, pipe/KIPS cover spacers, and then virtually free ones like actually dialing in your jetting, removing your air box lid, etc. If you're really ambitious you could even play with the KIPS governor spring/shims. That's as many mods as pretty much any other bike on the market from what I've seen.
'11 GasGas EC250R
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by KrispyKDX »

Thanks SS109. RB does not do carbs anymore. He only does slide jobs. Wonder what would be the impact on the 33mm carb of this slide job. Maybe I am better to have my carb ported by Fredette next winter or try to find a PWK35.
As for the head mod if a long time contributor on this forum would be kind enough to me to send it to RB and send it back to me after I would be so grateful! That is an official request! 🙏🙂
For the pipe, I guess I’ll find one!
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I’m out in Calgary, but I’ve got a small machine shop. I could bore the carb and cut the slide for you if you’d prefer to keep it in Canada. PM me if you’re interested.
'00 KDX 220R
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by KrispyKDX »

Thanks Nick on the offer. Btw, I’ve read your build thread here and nice job man! Very inspiring for a lot of us. I fantasized about a complete rebuild but the kids will have to stop hockey since I spend WAY too much time at the rink these days! Ok back to the mods I’d like to stick with reputable providers. As I said really not in the absolute need for that now but I see a risk of getting late to the party so my request for a kind usa forum contributor to help having a head at RB is still on. If that does not work I guess I’ll have Fredette do it when I feel I need it to enjoy my rides!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

If you can pay RB directly, and cover all the shipping charges, I would be happy to be your intermediary.

As for reputable, Nick may not have a dirt bike business per se, but I would trust him to do anything on my bikes. His attention to detail is second to none and I know him to be a stand up guy.
'11 GasGas EC250R
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by KrispyKDX »

Of course I did not want in any way to insult Nick. I have seen his posts and understand this guy has skills and knowledge. He opted for a RB head!
I quote RB’s website:
« You must have an OK authorization email from RB Designs for the products you want.

All payments must be in the form of a USA Money Order or Cashiers Check from a bank in the USA made out to RB Designs or cash, in US Dollars only. »

I think someone will have to deal with RB for me but of course with me paying each and every bit! I was planning on buying a head on eBay. If you are willing to do it I will transfer you the money in advance and I will add what it takes to get you a couple of packs of your favorite coolant 😉
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

Krispy, hope all that white stuff in your original photos above has gone away! Although I grew up with that stuff & rode my dirt bike in it, living for decades in SoCAL is cause to forget about it. However, your photos are pretty neat.
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by KrispyKDX »

Thanks billie. The photos are not from me but actually from the guy I bought the bike from.
And no…the white stuff is still there but will probably be gone in a few weeks. It is actually a race between the melting of the snow and me rebuilding the engine on that bike! 🙂 Do not put your money on me! 🤣