Looking to buy…cylinder was honed.

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Looking to buy…cylinder was honed.

Post by KrispyKDX »

Hello all,
I am interested in buying a 220R that looks pretty original and in very good shape. Current owner says the only thing he has done to it was to replace piston and rings with wiseco parts which sounds good to me. He says there was a flapping sound at higher revs that made him rebuild the top end. Any idea what that sound could have been? I’ve read about pistons skirt on this bike but I would not think it would make a flapping noise (except when it blows!) He also said the bottom end looked new at that time. Since the top end rebuild, no more flapping sound. He says he also honed the cylinder while at it. I have no clue what was used for the job but I read on this forum that it should not be done or only with a ball hone. The bike runs good btw.
What is the risk here? I don’t think I would not buy the bike because of that but I want to avoid bigger problems. So, I just buy the bike and inspect the top end and if good I go ride? How to tell plating is damaged too much? Would you suggest that I send the cylinder to be replated as prevention?
I can afford the cost of that but curious to see what you would suggest here.
Thanks!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Looking to buy…cylinder was honed.

Post by SS109 »

I wouldn't worry about if it runs well and the compression is within spec. Most KDX's have never had a replate so most are going to need it anyway.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The stock cylinder is coated (plated). Someone may have installed a sleeve at some point as a way to repair damage. If the cylinder has been sleeved, then honing is a good idea. If it is the stock coating or aftermarket plating, then any honing is a bad idea. Ask if the guy knows if it is sleeved or not.

You can look around here or elsewhere to see what the difference is.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by KrispyKDX »

Thanks for the answers.
It has not been sleeved. Only 1 owner and opened only once. Again, any risk of further damages if it has compression within acceptable range? If you guys think there are risks I could still buy the bike and have the cylinder replated since it is in a very good shape. Only downside I see on this bike is this mistake made while rebuilding it (but who knows what other mistakes could have been done while doing the job!)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Are you able to post some pictures about it or a link to an ad?

If he didn't know to not hone it, then what else did he not know how to maintain properly??

He may have done no damage when he honed it. A danger is getting a ball or stone caught in a port and chipping it. A diamond hone is not cheap, but is what is used by platers to put a cross hatch in their afternarket plating. An OEM Electrofusion coating won't have the easily seen cross hatch of an aftermarket plating.

I think many would rather have aftermarket plating than original plating.
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by KrispyKDX »

I’d rather send you pictures in private since they are not mine but I don’t see how to PM.
I guess if I decide to buy it I will tear it down and inspect. I’ll give a good look to see if any chipping at the port interface.
That would also allow me to check for crank and piston rod play.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You can just e-mail them to me.
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by KrispyKDX »

Sorry I probably miss it but I don’t see your email address in your profile or signature.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Most every 2s bike I've ever purchased I have bought with the assumption I would be doing a top end rebuild regardless of what the seller told me. It's just part of the cost of ownership to me. I like to KNOW what is inside. If there is ANY chance they rebuilt the top end using a stock Kawi piston on the 220, tear it down immediately. You can search this website to learn details but stock pistons are time bombs waiting to go off, usually at the worst time.

If the bike is running good, and you like it, buy it with a top overhaul in mind would be my approach.
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by KrispyKDX »

Thank you and honestly this is how I see it. I’m just gonna do the top end. The only thing I’m not sure is what to do with this cylinder since it has been honed? Only inspect or again…take no chance and have it replated?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Well, if you buy it and tear it down, post up pics and we'll look for potential damage.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I'm with Doakley. Buy it, a gasket set, and some coolant. Even if its all good you'll have the piece of mind knowing what's going on with it. Make sure you have a manual and a torque wrench. There's a nut that's lefty tighty that you don't want to force.
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by KrispyKDX »

It sounds good to me! Expect to have some development around the end of next week. Project delayed because of a Covid diagnostic! In the meantime, feel free to advice anything you strongly suggest to watch for before final decision.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

kdxgarage AT gmail DOT com

It is on the bottom right where it says Contact under the user info.
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

EDIT: Krispy, check with Millennium, especially Jeff. They frequently look for damaged cylinders to purchase. They can probably fix your cylinder, even though honed.

Krispy: I had KDX 220 cylinder re-plated by Millennium Technologies in WI in AUG 2021 (https://www.millennium-tech.net/serviceInfo.php?id=1). They have newer, better plating formula than OEM. Service was affordable and not expensive (Pricing page -- https://www.millennium-tech.net/serviceInfo.php?id=7). They carefully told me exactly what to do when they returned the replated cylinder to me and I followed their guidance. I also bought a Wossner piston (https://www.millennium-tech.net/product ... cts_id=282) and wrist pin bearing from them. I let them gap the rings with the replated cylinder and piston they selected for me.