Skid Plate - Motor and Frame protection.

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Lambuck14

Skid Plate - Motor and Frame protection.

Post by Lambuck14 »

Hey guys working on revamping my 04 200. Just got the frame powder coated and now I am looking for a good skid plate option that protects the frame and motor. Any recommendations?
Attachments
received_736629137269274.jpeg
received_736629137269274.jpeg (913.41 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Skid Plate - Motor and Frame protection.

Post by VTMTcowboy »

That is going to look outstanding! Can't wait to see the rest of the bike come together.

I have aluminum Ricochet/Moose skid-plates on both my KDXs and they do the job. I believe Hyde Racing makes a black plastic skid-plate for the KDX, but you'd have to double check if they are still producing them. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of options out there for the KDX, but those are the two I know about.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. Thanks for joining AND participating.

Your best bet is probably going to be the following:

Two rolls of bubble wrap. then put that frame on a display shelf in the living room
Next, go buy another frame and get a Ricochet, or similar

Glad to help out

Post pics of the second frame when you get it
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

That purple frame is giving me ideas for my KDX!

I thought about starting to make skid/glide plates with and without linkage protection for the KDX. I just don't know if enough people would buy them for it to be worth me to investing the cash in doing it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

I have the Hyde skid plate and like the way it fits tight to the frame, protects well, and slides over obstacles. I bought mine through BRP Moto KDX Skid Plate
Hyde Skid Plate.jpg
Hyde Skid Plate.jpg (122.96 KiB) Viewed 3273 times
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
DirtBucket

Post by DirtBucket »

SS109 wrote: 12:25 am Feb 11 2021 That purple frame is giving me ideas for my KDX!

I thought about starting to make skid/glide plates with and without linkage protection for the KDX. I just don't know if enough people would buy them for it to be worth me to investing the cash in doing it.
I would buy two of those skid plates that protected the linkage. The Hyde skid plates are cool but don't protect the linkage and the one with the pipe guard comes up too short on the left side bend. I'd end up adding add a few inches of the aluminum pipe guard material to extend the protection on each end. Hyde wants too $ much for skid/pipe guard. I might get it anyway. That purple coated frame looks better I could have imagined. I have a 97 220 with the purple tank. I like the black tanks, but now seeing that purple frame could change everything. The '97 was a race bike and likes to go crazy fast so maybe the wild purple look should be played up.
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

Nice looking frame! Great color.

I bought a common Ricochet skid plate and just drilled a couple holes for pan-head allen bolts, washers and nuts to hold on a piece of 1/4" UHMW plastic for linkage protection. Use a heat gun to easily put a couple bends to shape. Total cost - about $75 today for the skid plate plus about $10 for the extra parts. Works great. Glue some pieces of heavy inner tube to the frame to prevent wear between skid plate and powder coat.

I powder coated my frame too and had to do some work afterwards - used a thread chase, not a tap, to clear the threads. used aircraft stripper or carefully sanded the brake pedal pivot shaft, and used hot water, soap and a bottle brush to clean the steering head before installing bearings.

Here's a photo before the linkage guard but shows the skid plate with inner tube pieces to protect the powder coat...

'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

WOW. That purple looks amazing. Do you know the color code for it? Also was that oem purple KAW used? Thanks.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

I have a Devol aluminum skid plate and a Devol water pump protector plate. Years ago when first armoring my KDX out, the water pump guard was a separate purchase. Now after rebuilding, frame up, I wasn't able to locate anything like the Hyde and the reps logic, via my local Kaw dealer in Rome,Ga., was that the frames loops/extensions acted as a case protector. Point being that the water pump guard came in package with the Devol bash/ skid plate.

I have been fortunate in that my current armor does an incredible job but that Hyde plate looks cool as all get out. I've been leary of plastics ability to continue protecting after the integrity is compromised from an uber hard hit but evidently it keeps on keeping on. I know my bash plates get bent and all and still do the job but that Hyde looks great.

Just remember to guard the water pump man. Period. It's critical if you actually do mix it up racing or even hard trail riding. I've seen many over the years get cracked/ broken from not being covered well enough.
Lambuck14

Post by Lambuck14 »

KDXGarage wrote: 08:42 pm Feb 10 2021 Welcome to kdxrider.net. Thanks for joining AND participating.

Your best bet is probably going to be the following:

Two rolls of bubble wrap. then put that frame on a display shelf in the living room
Next, go buy another frame and get a Ricochet, or similar

Glad to help out

Post pics of the second frame when you get it

HAHAHA I think you have the right idea! I have been looking for a spare parts bike.
Lambuck14

Post by Lambuck14 »

That looks great! Thanks I'll check it out.
Lambuck14

Post by Lambuck14 »

TwistedRoot wrote: 10:50 am Feb 17 2021 WOW. That purple looks amazing. Do you know the color code for it? Also was that oem purple KAW used? Thanks.
It's not the OEM purple. I went with Prismatic Powders Galaxy Purple. Its got some silver metal flake and then I went with a clear coat over top to make it really pop.

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/p ... axy-purple
Lambuck14

Post by Lambuck14 »

Thank's guys! I'll keep everyone posted on what I go with! Appreciate the help!