Checking KIPS...trying to dial in lectron carb

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Red October

Post by Red October »

Hi all.
I've purchased a 2001 KDX200 few months ago and have been trying to get it cleaned up and running. After messing around with the carb (and trying to find a way to jet it for 5000-9000 elevation) I gave up due to time constraints and figured I'd just buy a Lectron and all will be great! Yeah right.
I got the lectron metering rod dialed in, seems to run well in 0-1/2 throttle range now. However, past 1/2 throttle there's nothing. Flat, just lots of whaaaaaaaaaaaa, but no pull at all. Lectron guys suggested checking KIPS valve and ignition (new spark plug?)

KIPS seems to be working well. I got the left and right side covers off. The shaft turns at high RPMs.
Using a 10mm socket on the nut that connects the timing gear to the rod that goes into the cover I can turn the main KIPS shaft and watch main port goes up, and subports open. So KIPS seems to be working just fine.
I guess question is, should I be able to turn that rod with a socket? I can't turn it by hand, there is resistance, but with a socket its no problem.

So I'm down to few options left to me...either a new spark plug, or maybe lectron power jet is plugged up and not sending any gas when I open the throttle. Or I haven't dialed it in right yet. I've gone through PJ adjjustments from 1/4t to 1.5t and it had 0 effect.

If anyone's had any experience with lectrons, any help would be appreciated. I have no idea what the normal power jet adjustment range on Lectron is anyway.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Checking KIPS...trying to dial in lectron carb

Post by bufftester »

If you were turning the KIPS shaft at the top with a wrench and didn't run into obstruction with it turning it is possible that you could have broken or bent the pin at the bottom of the shaft. Usually it breaks when people try to remove that nut not knowing that it's left hand threaded. Easy to check if you pull off the clutch cover. As for the flat spot (if it's not the KIPS) on a PWK it would be a combination of needle and main jet but I have never run a Lectron. I assume that the engine is healthy and you've done a leakdown check?
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

I have the cylinder off my bike now and last night I was reassembling the kips valves. I'm unsure about turning it with the rod still connected but I can tell you most of the resistance comes from the bolt on the left hand side that has the spring and ball bearing on it. The resistance is there to hold the kips assembly closed so it doesn't flutter about. Sounds like your kips valves are working as they should. I have zero knowledge of lectron carbs but one thing I have learnt from owing this pile of junk bike that I bought is do a leak down test first or all jetting you try to do will be for nothing if you have other issues
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

That's weird...... when I got my Lectron the powerjet was def waaaayyyy too rich.... it wouldn't run at all up top. Got it down somewhere around 1 to 1.5 turns out from closed and it's been golden ever since

Might want to check the hose for the powerjet and make sure it didn't get kinked on install. Sometimes, being such a tight fit, when you rotate it or install, the little clip that holds the hose can get bent up or down and possibly kink the hose
Red October

Post by Red October »

Thank you for the suggestions.
Leakdown test is tonight. The top end LOOKS fine through the exhaust port, but test will tell the truth.
I've also checked the PJ hose based on Lectrons' suggestion (plug 2 of the 3 vent hoses, blow in other one, gas will go to the PJ) and gas is going through PJ into carb.
Red October

Post by Red October »

Well crapski.
Compression test shows 120psi cold. Out of ideas. Spark was wet and black...I guess I'll have to put in new plug and try to dial it in again. Nothing else seems to be busted.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Have you tried running the power jet screw all the way in and see what happens?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

What was the results of the leak down test?
Red October

Post by Red October »

Didn't do leakdown, did just compression test.

I've started PJ adjustment at 1/4t out, which should be very lean, and went in 1/8t increments out to 1.5t. Didn't feel any improvements.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Does it start first kick? Does it have fresh reeds? 120psi is 20% down if it was around 150 new. Mine was at 148 (cold) before and after the stock 220 piston swap out.

Would you say its lean or rich after 1/2 throttle? Try a full throttle plug chop if you're not sure.

Did it run good up top with the Keihin and the Lectron was the only change?

I wasted a ton of time before I built my leakdown tester. It was losing air from the KIPS slotted cover o ring. I pumped it up to 6 psi and 6 minutes later it was at 0. Replaced that Oring and the retest held 6 psi for 10 minutes. I also had reed problems at the same time so I was all over the place trying to get it to run right. Tuning has been predictable ever since.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

John_S wrote:...I wasted a ton of time before I built my leakdown tester. It was losing air from the KIPS slotted cover o ring. I pumped it up to 6 psi and 6 minutes later it was at 0. Replaced that Oring and the retest held 6 psi for 10 minutes. I also had reed problems at the same time so I was all over the place trying to get it to run right. Tuning has been predictable ever since.
That's why a leak down test is needed in addition to compression. The compression test will let you know how the rings are doing, but not what's going on in the bottom end. Any leaks in the bottom and carb tuning will be an exercise in futility.
Red October

Post by Red October »

So the bike was purchased with a stock carb that was jetted fairly well. However, since then I've replaced reeds with new Boyesen power reeds. The bike also had a big bend in the pipe which actually caused the pipe to come out of the head so that the 1st O-ring was actually outside the head (PO has fixed that by putting an extra thick washer there, so that htere wouldn't be a gap). I'm guessing they jetted around it. The center stack gasket in the carb was also toast. I guess they jetted around that too.

After I replaced the pipe and reeds I tried dialing in the carb but it didnt work...hence the lectron. My home track is at 5000 ft and I would ride with friends from 8000 to 9500 so I figured I'd get lectron and not have to worry about elevation/temp changes.

Bike starts on 2nd kick no problem.

After 1/2 throttle I just don't feel any pull at all. It's funny, it keeps making baaaaaaaaaaaaaa noise, no gurgling, no bog...there's baaaaaaaaa but no pull at all. It doesn't drop off, just no extra power.