OEM Cylinder or replate?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Monasheemonster

OEM Cylinder or replate?

Post by Monasheemonster »

My new to me kdx 200 H was running low on compression and hard to tune so I pulled the cylinder off yesterday. Left side wrist pin clip had given out at some point, still made 130psi.....The cylinder needs welding and plating. I have been quoted $370CAD for a weld and replate. Out of curiosity I called my local Kawasaki dealer and asked for a OEM cylinder quote. He calls me back and says he can do it for $450 CAD. He also quoted me OEM Piston and top end parts for a reasonable price. I would like your advice on the matter, spend the extra 70 plus tax and get the new cylinder or get the old one welded and replated? Also get a Weisco piston kit from fortnine.ca or buy oem for a little less?

PS this H series 200 will be going into a 2009 kx250f rolling chassis that I picked up for $500 with 2011 SFF Showa forks and plastics included!!! more too come on that. I need to start a thread in the hybrid section. Also if anyone in canada needs 250f engine parts ect let me know.

THanks in advance for any advice, the site has been great!!!
Redhurricane
Supporting Member

OEM Cylinder or replate?

Post by Redhurricane »

Who quoted the replating at $370 CAD? Not sure what customs and such are, Millenium tech is $295.95 USD. I have used them many times over the years and never a problem.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

OEM Cylinder or replate?

Post by Molly's 70 »

If you plan on keeping the bike. I would get the new stuff.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Monasheemonster

Re: OEM Cylinder or replate?

HI Red

MOngoose Machine in Port Coquitlam. Thats a weld and replate. I'm getting the deal, $295 usd-cad is $384CAD. Plus customs ect. Mongoose does great work and they are reputable. I think every small engine repair in BC probably uses them. For $450 CAD I jumped the que and ordered the Kawasaki OEM cylinder. I'll recoup some costs from selling my gouged cylinder on ebay ect (someone will jump on it for a big bore ect). I also ordered oem piston and rings while i was at it. Support the local business and also i think a cast oem piston will be just fine for my use (woods riding), I don't have to worry about cold seizing a weisco ect. I wouldn't be surprised if the piston i pulled out was stock ('96). Minus the wrist pin clip guage the cylinder still looked great!! really too bad.
Monasheemonster

OEM Cylinder or replate?

Molly's 70 wrote:If you plan on keeping the bike. I would get the new stuff.
hi MOlly

I saw your reply after i posted! I ordered, it just made sense to in every way. I'm pumped for the hybrid build.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

OEM Cylinder or replate?

Post by jjavaman »

I’m pretty sure you did the right thing and went new. For $80 bucks well worth it.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The only issue that I would have buying new/NOS rather than re-plating is that modern nikasil plating is superior to the original factory kawi electrofusion in every way. At some point in the early 2000s Kawi did switch to nicasil, but I am not sure what year that would have been for the KDX, if at all.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think I would rather have new. It would mean all new gasket surfaces, power valve holes / ports, exhaust port area not gouged out, cylinder hole should be perfectly round, pretty paint job, etc. New Electrofusion coating is still good enough to last many years, just look at all of our bikes. :grin:

By the way, all USA KDX's besides the Suzuki made KDX50 came with Electrofusion cylinders. The KX125 and KX250 got a newer style. From the Kawasaki 2003 KX125 / KX250 service manual:

"Chrome Composite Plating Cylinder (KX250M, KX125M)
○This new cylinder bore [A] has Kawasaki’s composite
cylinder plating, which is used for the first time on
two stroke engines. The composite plating includes a
nickel-phosphorous alloy, inorganic materials like ceramic,
silicone carbide and some organic materials."

For any KDX, look on the parts diagram. If it offers oversize pistons and rings as options, it is NOT plated. Only the 2003 - 2006 Suzuki made KDX50 has that option. I think the KD, KE, KL, KM, etc, bikes that are from the 70's and their continuations on had the iron / steel cylinder linings.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I was thinking that the KDX remained electrofusion. The primary benefits that I see to a modern re-plate are the thickness and durability of the plating. Obviously you are totally right about electrofusion being plenty good enough to last a very long time.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would rather have aftermarket plating than the stock plating. I doubt the thickness is much different. I think a lot of people let their piston run way too long in dirt bikes. After someone pays about $400 and does all the work, they are more likely to change out the piston and rings instead of the all too familiar "Oh, I think I can get one more season out of it". When it finally lets go, at least they can get on the internet to say "Kwakasackis suck! I bought this bike for $500 on craigslist and it blowed up after just three tanks of 87 and Quicksilver" Ain't but five other people owned this bike before me, shoulda ran a lot longer". :?
david

Post by david »

Jason wrote:I doubt the thickness is much different.
I can say that the aftermarket plated cylinder that I just got will stick a magnet to the plating a whole lot stronger than the OEM cylinder that I pulled of the bike. If that means anything, I don't really know.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Nickel is magnetic.

Way back in the day, Electrofusion was tungsten wires somehow exploded onto the cylinder surface. Something like that.
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by lucy »

Jason wrote: tungsten wires somehow exploded onto the cylinder surface. Something like that.
In the words of them ther folks in the deep south:...."well, dang...that clears it up fer me..."
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Jason wrote:I would rather have aftermarket plating than the stock plating. I doubt the thickness is much different. I think a lot of people let their piston run way too long in dirt bikes. After someone pays about $400 and does all the work, they are more likely to change out the piston and rings instead of the all too familiar "Oh, I think I can get one more season out of it". When it finally lets go, at least they can get on the internet to say "Kwakasackis suck! I bought this bike for $500 on craigslist and it blowed up after just three tanks of 87 and Quicksilver" Ain't but five other people owned this bike before me, shoulda ran a lot longer". :?

LOL!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

https://books.google.com/books?id=i8_7w ... ki&f=false

Seek out this one below. It is the best I have ever seen on it. :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

1993 KLX650 manual, page 1-19
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

OEM Cylinder or replate?

Post by ohgood »

have it replated.

it's so much better