The KDX I've always wanted

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

This is an update on my 02 220 that I bought 2 years ago. I have about 50-60 hours on it since I got it and there has been a lot of tinkering, a good deal of frustration (while trying to fix things that should be easy) but mostly I've really enjoyed the bike. Some of the parts I put on it were to make it my own, not there was anything wrong with the stock parts. Its not finished (is it ever?) but it's pretty much there. Someday I'll rebuild the calipers, master cylinders, new brake lines, and the bottom end. I just love this bike! Thank you to all the members who've posted helpful information along the way that made it much easier than doing it alone with no guidance.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (1.84 MiB) Viewed 6698 times
image.png
image.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 6698 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (578 KiB) Viewed 6698 times
image.png
image.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 6698 times
image.png
image.png (1.68 MiB) Viewed 6698 times
Last edited by John_S on 07:37 am Mar 18 2018, edited 3 times in total.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

More pics
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (234.25 KiB) Viewed 6694 times
image.png
image.png (1.78 MiB) Viewed 6694 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (312.62 KiB) Viewed 6694 times
image.png
image.png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 6694 times
image.png
image.png (1.7 MiB) Viewed 6694 times
Last edited by John_S on 03:46 pm Mar 17 2018, edited 1 time in total.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

More pics
Attachments
image.png
image.png (1.54 MiB) Viewed 6693 times
image.png
image.png (1.24 MiB) Viewed 6693 times
image.png
image.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 6693 times
image.png
image.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 6693 times
image.png
image.png (1.48 MiB) Viewed 6693 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: The KDX I've always wanted

Post by KDXGarage »

REALLY NICE!! Congratulatioms!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Beautiful! I love that feeling when you get your bike just so.
jaywylie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jaywylie »

Your bike looks awesome! Thanks for sharing!!
Mav
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Mav »

That's awesome. Just picked up my first KDX 220 on Friday and had a good trial day yesterday. I hope to get her in similar condition to yours next winter.
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Mint bike! KDXs are timeless and this is a great example of bike and owner.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
Theducman
Supporting Member

Post by Theducman »

I wish mine looked as good as yours
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Thank you guys for the kind words. I look forward to riding many, many more hours on it. There were posts I looked at that went back as far as 10+ years ago that were helpful. I like learning from other people's trials and tribulations they're having with their bikes whether the problem relates to me or not. You never know when you'll learn a new trick or two when reading about how other people diagnose or fix their bikes. We have a great community here with this website.
Theducman
Supporting Member

Post by Theducman »

John_S wrote:Thank you guys for the kind words. I look forward to riding many, many more hours on it. There were posts I looked at that went back as far as 10+ years ago that were helpful. I like learning from other people's trials and tribulations they're having with their bikes whether the problem relates to me or not. You never know when you'll learn a new trick or two when reading about how other people diagnose or fix their bikes. We have a great community here with this website.
I'm doing just that. I have been sifting through the site to find anything I can about these bikes.
tropicoz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tropicoz »

Awesome bike! If you don't mind me asking, what model bike did you use for the shift lever? I didn't think there was a Tusk lever listed for the KDX.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Its from a KX85 (mid 90's all the way to current I believe). Once I installed it I noticed it hit the case before it would shift up so I took a grinder to the lever and shaved some off to clear. Now that it cleared it hit the damn chain before it would shift into second gear so I notched it to clear that. I didn't end up taking too much material off either time to get it to work but I would still rather have it rotated one spline higher and that's not happening. I've ridden it twice with the tusk lever and didn't seem to have any trouble with it being lower than I wanted it. Long story short, it might not be worth the hassle. I might end up putting the stock one back on at the height I normally run the lever. It was $20.00 on ebay. I meant to take a picture of what I ground off of before hitting it with black spray paint.

Same story goes for that Hyde skid plate. Its for a KDX but it might as well have been for a KX85. I got it, cut and notched it all around the exhaust mount before it would work right and NOT have to remove the exhaust to install it. When it did fit right the oil drain hole was still way off so I dremeled the hole out longer to make it work. Now I like it and its easy to take on and off but it was a pain laying on the ground trying to scribe it around the exhaust hanger.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

They may be ugly, but the stock rear brake lever and the shift lever have one thing in common that most aftermarket parts don't...they are malleable. Seriously, I have literally wrapped my brake lever around the footpeg and bent it back (before I ran a brake snake). Bike is looking very nice!
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

bufftester wrote:They may be ugly, but the stock rear brake lever and the shift lever have one thing in common that most aftermarket parts don't...they are malleable. Seriously, I have literally wrapped my brake lever around the footpeg and bent it back (before I ran a brake snake). Bike is looking very nice!
Thank you! I bent my brake lever back into place based on a previous post about bending yours back. I've learned a lot from your posts.