My $200 2005 KDX 220

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ICRage42
Supporting Member

My $200 2005 KDX 220

Post by ICRage42 »

not much in desert environment but I can add what I have found out from the sand quarry fun when kid and races now from time to time at nelson quarry.

Im running klx forks with correct springs and seals and rear as well sag and clickers went through for like months following the guide here. Took me a while and like anything I do I go full blown stupid but found this to be a very crucial get to know cant just read about it things. GNC from here was a HUGE help when we met up helping me setting my sag for the first time......what a noob I was :lol:

Stock forks suck..........period. and another .period. For casual trail sure fine but not for desert not for highway not for hell anywhere but between trees. Even then they fatigue so quick that if you get on it its gonna suck under you. Believe there is a vid of this ...kdx lives again on youtube. Something like that.

We take jetting crucial but hop on a bike with stock settings and think nothing more then it gets me dirty and I have fun lets go!

Dial that **** in trust me and upgrade or dont expect miracles.

The only real breakthroughs in dirtbikes is suspension really look at whats changed over time. Engine 4 stroke then fuel injection but I can list over a hundred shock variations.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Re: My $200 2005 KDX 220

Post by ICRage42 »

sorry meign sounded like a **** there

from top of head

2 clicks for sand (for MY bike) for stiff

front I actually go one softer absorbs the sand better NOT GOOD FOR WET PUDDLE SAND grabs bike and your some where else on the saddle

Just go slower or faster havent figured that out yet :lol:

But see it varies its almost saying my jetting should equal yours when in fact you should take in consideration wear of spring and your own ride.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

My $200 2005 KDX 220

Post by Vossman »

Looks great. What plastics did you use?
toomanytoys2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

My $200 2005 KDX 220

Post by toomanytoys2 »

As far as the plastics, this is what I used - https://www.ebay.com/itm/95-06-KAWASAKI ... 2749.l2649

However, they shipped with the wrong side number plates, they fit my son's 90, instead of my bike. I would have asked for replacements or a refund, but my white ones were fine and he needed them. I did let the seller know that there was a problem though.

After a week of desert riding (with much clicker and sag changes), and weighing the pluses and minuses, I will probably give the bike to my son, and keep on riding my TM. To get the bike how I would want it would mean fairly extensive engine and suspension modifications. He's only 18 so he can deal with the few minus better then I can, since I am on the other side of the 1/2 century mark. Then he would sell his 90 to his best friend, this will make them both happy. According to my GPS we road over 300 miles in four days. We hit Burro Schmidt Tunnel, the Pinnacles, The X15 crash site, as well as hitting Randsburg for Ice cream. However, my little foray with the ground cost us a ride to the Husky Monument. I guess there is always next time. I am a little disappointed though. I was hopping to move to a smaller and lighter bike. If I only rode trails, id go with the KDX, but we ride a little bit of everything, so there is always a compromise.

Now I just have to mod the bike to fit my son :grin: .
Nothing ever stays stock. 5 dirt bikes, 2 Chinese Buggies - Hammer Head 150, bored to 170cc, cam, P&P head. Joyner Sand Viper 250 - engine maxed out. 1969 VW Baja Bug - bus transaxle, 2010cc engine. At least my wife always knows where I am at - The Garage.
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

My $200 2005 KDX 220

Post by Vossman »

Cool, thanks for the reply. Bike looks good, your son should be pleased with his new ride.