Rear shock bench test question

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rear shock bench test question

Post by John_S »

I ordered a new spring more suitable for my weight. When my race sag was set to 100mm my free sag was only 15mm and according to indawoods pro circuit post my free sag should be 30-40mm. I went with race tech's suggestion for my weight and riding style and have a 5.4 spring on the way.

While the spring is off I was thinking of manually pushing the shaft in with the clickers in different positions and see how it reacts. Does it return on its own? How fast does it return? etc. So far the only test I've done with the shock installed is to set the compression to full stiff and it does make it harder to press down. Also setting my rebound all the way clockwise and the rear end stays down when I press it down. As far as I know (which isn't much) the clickers seem to be doing their job. Is there a (spring removed) bench test that would indicate whether or not your shock is in proper working order? I really would like to get this spring installed for a couple rides we have scheduled and then service the seals, oil, and nitrogen in the near future.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Rear shock bench test question

Post by KDXGarage »

If you have it in a vise with the spring off, compress it fully and LIGHTLY turn the rebound adjuster all the way in.

It should stay down when you take your hand away from holding it down.

DO NOT check the pressure. You will lose a massive amount of pressure. One HAS to have a no loss chuck to keep the pressure inside.

Look at some of my posts from 2005. I used to work on some members forks and shocks back then. I made a few posts back then.

Yes, your static sag was way off. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rear shock bench test question

Post by John_S »

Thank you Jason!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net