Racing at a lower elevation...Rejet?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Buck Nasty

Post by Buck Nasty »

I ride between 3,000' and 5,000' on the regular. I FINALLY got my jetting working for that elevation range. Running a 38 pilot and a 150 main. Factory needle 3rd clip (still a little fat). Runs great...no fouling. 50:1 full syn. I was fouling in 55F temps with a 42 pilot BTW.

In 2 weeks I have a race at approx 1'600'. I won't have the opportunity to test jetting at that elevation. I may have the chance to do it the day before. I can't afford to foul plugs while in the heat of battle.

So, in a perfect world, you'd rejet. The bottom line is, can I make do with my current setup (with tweaking...pilot screw, tape off airbox opening, etc.) or should I richen it up and go in blind? Looking for experience, advice, tips, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I wouldn't worry about fouling a plug as you would be getting leaner, not richer, going to a lower elevation. Going lean is much more dangerous to your engine. Yes, I would change jetting. I would go at least one step up on both jets (40pj,152m) and adjust idle mix right before race start after fully warm but that's just me.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Racing at a lower elevation...Rejet?

Post by John_S »

I second what SS said with the pilot, main, and air screw. With the needle currently a little rich it might be perfect at the lower elevation.
Buck Nasty

Post by Buck Nasty »

Ya think going up one size on each should be sufficient?

John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

If it were mine I would go up one each like he suggested. Check out this jetting guide. It's a 2016 KTM 2 stroke owners manual but it gives a good idea on how much jetting changes from temperature and elevation.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (167.08 KiB) Viewed 3221 times
Buck Nasty

Post by Buck Nasty »

John_S wrote:If it were mine I would go up one each like he suggested. Check out this jetting guide. It's a 2016 KTM 2 stroke owners manual but it gives a good idea on how much jetting changes from temperature and elevation.
Nice. Based on that chart, 1 size up on each should get me close. I just want the bike to come back home healthy! Thanks for your time.

John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

You're welcome. Let us know how it goes.