Cooling System Question

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Norm 427

Cooling System Question

Post by Norm 427 »

2005 KDX 200 is new to me.

I just bought a Trail Tech Vapor computer. Among many features (speed, odo, rpm, etc.) it has a thermocouple that goes inside a radiator hose to read engine coolant temperature.

But I can't figure out which hose to cut and install the thermocouple in. There's a hose going between the water pump and the bottom of the right side radiator. There's also a hose between the bottom of the left radiator going to the top of the cylinder head. (My infra-red temp gun doesn't seem to be much help.)

Can anyone tell me which way the coolant flows? Which hose has the hot coolant and which one the cooled coolant?

THANKS!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Cooling System Question

Post by Tyl3r »

I spliced the coolant temp sensor for my trail tech computer in the rad hose that goes from the top of the one rad over to the other.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Norm 427

Post by Norm 427 »

Tyl3r wrote:I spliced the coolant temp sensor for my trail tech computer in the rad hose that goes from the top of the one rad over to the other.
Ok. But that might not be the hottest coolant since it's gone through one radiator already. ? Thanks for the reply.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Tyl3r wrote:I spliced the coolant temp sensor for my trail tech computer in the rad hose that goes from the top of the one rad over to the other.
Same for me..... in searching around I've seen where many others put it in the same spot. Just cut out about an inch of hose from the middle of it and it fits like a glove. Just make sure the wire is pointed down..... it's still a tight squeeze in there once the tank is on
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Cooling System Question

Post by SS109 »

When I did it I used the hose coming from the top of the head to the left (as sitting on the bike) radiator. It worked great and that is where the coolant is coming out of the engine.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Norm 427

Cooling System Question

Post by Norm 427 »

SS109 wrote:When I did it I used the hose coming from the top of the head to the left (as sitting on the bike) radiator. It worked great and that is where the coolant is coming out of the engine.
Ok. That's what I needed to know. THANKS.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

When I was reading this yesterday I was trying to think of the direction of coolant flow, because I didn't know either. I did a quick google and came across this, and thought it made sense:

http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showthre ... olant+flow

They are saying it flows the opposite direction (but then again they aren't a KDX specific forum haha). It made more sense to me that the coolant would flow down around the head and piston from the top where the most heat is generated (water enters at the hottest point to maximixe the heat transfer there) and the water pump would provide the pressure to push the coolant back up into the rads. But then again, I could see how on a car, the water goes into the top of the rad, and out the bottom, right? so that would be the opposite of what I just said? haha what is right... :doh: I want to say that I feel the water pump side is the hot side... how to know for sure?
david

Post by david »

The water pump outlet is the 90° rubber hose that goes up and turns to the cylinder. Pumps are fed through the center of the impeller and then the liquid is slug out from the outer diameter.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

david wrote:The water pump outlet is the 90° rubber hose that goes up and turns to the cylinder. Pumps are fed through the center of the impeller and then the liquid is slug out from the outer diameter.
Yup!

Here is a diagram showing how a mechanical impeller type water pump works. So, the top of a KDX's head is the outlet for the coolant.

Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Understood, coolant flows out of the RS radiator, into the pump, into the cylinder, out the head, into the LS radiator.

Thanks for clarifying, good to know.
Norm 427

Post by Norm 427 »

Tyl3r wrote:Understood, coolant flows out of the RS radiator, into the pump, into the cylinder, out the head, into the LS radiator.

Thanks for clarifying, good to know.
Thanks everyone for your help. I know now to put the thermocouple inside the left side hose.

This is a great forum!

Norm