bottom out bumper

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ico135

bottom out bumper

Post by ico135 »

Anyone ever road without the bottom out bumper on the rear shock. Got bike a year ago and just got around to changing fluid in the rear shock and have that done, just dropped 29 dollars to have nitrogen recharged, and have it installed. And that's when i decide to notice there is not, and hasn't been a bottom out bumper. Yes in a perfect world i would take it back off, order a bump stop, install, pay another 30 bucks to refill nitrogen and reinstall. But i'm lazy and impatient and live in Mississippi so we don't have winter breaks to work on bikes, we have summer breaks when it's to hot to ride.
Majority of the time i ride i am with a few 6 year olds, and when i do get a chance to ride hard it's typically on a tight single track so at no point am i hitting 80' triples.
Thanks for opinions and advice and i'm going to make a drink cause my wife said she's tired of seeing my sour face.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: bottom out bumper

Post by KDXGarage »

Buy a bumper, slit it vertically from top to bottom, wrap it around the shock shaft, throw a zip tie in each horizontal slot, give wife a hug

:bravo:

Next time around, do it differently.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

bottom out bumper

Post by Dekon »

I'd do what Jason says. I myself would not ride without one. It's part of your suspension helps with bottoming. I am not sure, but can imagine that the internals of the shock must slam together without it causing damage.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

I've spent a good bit of time without one on a couple of bikes. I think the question of whether it matters is relative - it matters if you're bottoming out.
Split bushing idea has merit.
ico135

bottom out bumper

Post by ico135 »

Yeah im gonna try the split bumper with zip ties. got one ordered. I'll give it some time and report back how it's holding up. I honestly can't think of a reason it wouldn't hold up just fine though.
ToXic

Post by ToXic »

I just overhauled my E4 shock last week with the All Balls seal kit. As it never, ever, had a bumper when I rode it some years ago, I stupidly did not think of it when I was assembling the shock, just as described... only when I got it pressurized I realized it was missing... too late.
I know that internally it will not hit anything, it never did. There are no bottoming marks on the rod end. Maybe it would bottom in very very hard jumps, but as I will not be doing any of that I will leave it like it is, maybe also go for the split bumper solution just in case, and next time do it properly :) The shock looks good and firm though, can't wait to install it!Image

Sent from my Mobile using Tapatalk