Tapping rear shock seal assembly downwards.

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ico135

Post by ico135 »

I am rebuilding the rear shock on my 04 kdx and i am to the point where manuals says to gently tap the rear seal downwards 10mm to reveal the circlips. Anyone ever had any issues getting that seal to actually drop, i feel like i have surpassed the "tap" level but can't tell that i have got it to move much.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Tapping rear shock seal assembly downwards.

Post by KDXGarage »

The o-ring is stuck. Pour a touch of oil into the very side of it and let it penetrate for a little bit, then try to push down again.

If you are replacing the seal head (you should be), then just use a hammer and punch to drive it down a little on each side until it frees up. If it has never been serviced, then it is a 14 year old shock. They get stuck over time.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ico135

Post by ico135 »

Put a little oil and tried tapping and it still didn't budge. Then tried just pushing the punch with a steady force and that got it to budge. So have that side done. Now I gotta get that bladder side. Got it pushed down and circlip off, and now can't get it to budge coming back up. There is something to be said for preventive maintenance and not waiting 14 years to service this stuff.
ico135

Post by ico135 »

Saw a tip on getting the bladder out that worked great that someone else posted here on kdxrider, so thought i would share if anyone needs info down the road. Got a cheap little 4way tire valve tool, I found a slime brand one from walmart for 2 dollars. Took dremmil and shave about a 1/4 inch off one of the sides, the threaded it on schraeder valve and grabbed it with a set of pliers and was able to get bladder out easily.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Tapping rear shock seal assembly downwards.

Post by KDXGarage »

little puff of compressed air or modify a 4-way valve tool as mentioned

If all else fails, buy a bladder puller... SO much easier to have a purpose built tool :bravo:

DO NOT wiggle it around, pull straight up! The top will break off, in my OOOPS experience. :oops:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128