99 kdx 200. No spark UPDATE.

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

. Went riding today and rode for 3 hours, rode through some muddy stuff and shallow water creeks. Decided to head back to the truck and when we got there I turned my bike off using the kill switch. Bike never started again and i have a brand new plug in it. I am not seeing a spark on the plug. I have ruled out the kill switch. I also am getting voltage from the coil. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Found my fly wheel was rubbing my coil and burned it up. Not sure why my flywheel is rubbing my coil but I will find out I hope
Last edited by Chilly on 06:29 pm Nov 26 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 99 kdx 200.

Post by Skoalman »

Chilly, remove your kill switch from your handlebar and then give it go. If it sparks or starts then you'll now that your kill switch is shorting out somewhere.
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

Chilly, I read your post too fast and now realize that you already ruled out the kill switch. Think I had this happen to my 98 KTM 300MXC once, and I ended up pulling the mag cover and about a cup of water came out. I dried the mag with a hair dryer and sprayed it with some WD-40. Kept the cover off for 24 hours, and the bike started shortly thereafter.

Interestingly enough, after I'm done riding and washing my old late 70's KTM 400's and my 77 Penton 250 (which all have magnesium engine cases) I always pull the mag cover, and it spray with some WD-40 to remove condensation/water build up. This lessons the likelihood of getting the dreaded 'Mag rot.' An old tip that I got from one of my Penton quaterly magazines was to also put a small bead of silicone on the mag cover, and then let it dry for 24 hours. It's works very well and I don't have to worry about replacing the mag cover gasket each time it's removed.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Thanks for the reply. I found the problem. The Stator coil burned up because the fly wheel has been rubbing on the coil. Metal to metal. Replaced with a new coil and now I have to figure out why my fly wheel is rubbing it.
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 99 kdx 200. No spark UPDATE.

Post by Skoalman »

Glad you figured it out, Chilly. Loose flywheel, maybe?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It's good that you got it diagnosed. That sounds odd with it hitting the flywheel.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

My lower end was rebuilt last year and has only around. 20 hours on it so I’m not sure what to check. Could it be my drive shaft bearing going out or my fly wheel is out of balance some how. I’m not sure how to check it?
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jeswinehart »

There is a fella who has the same exact problem with his ricky flywheel (on Tecate4 face book page).
Gary Rugg it's a ricky stator flywheel it seems to be rubbing against the stator causing it to malfunction note the grooves in the flywheel
He is also as too why this is now happening, perhaps a machinist can put in lathe and see if it is actually out of whack and by how much/where ?

Image may contain: plant and outdoor
ScruffyDroid
Supporting Member

Post by ScruffyDroid »

Too many winds on the stator. When they are rewound, it is tempting to put as many winds to boost the output. Just one too many can have this effect.

The flywheel clearance on each bike can be so subtly different, that the keyway itself can make the difference between interference and clearance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk