Clutch Won't Disengage

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
bergilong

Clutch Won't Disengage

Post by bergilong »

I just replaced the clutch plates, springs, and cable on my 1995 KDX200. I also removed the judder spring and seat. Now, if the clutch lever is pulled all the way in, the clutch won't disengage. However, If I pull the clutch about halfway in, it disengages. What could be causing this issue?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Clutch Won't Disengage

Post by bufftester »

Verify your clutch cable and actuator are properly aligned and adjusted. When you put the clutch cover on how many spacers were on the clutch rod and is the push rod holder/bearing assembly in the correct orientation? If you are following the service manual it's pretty easy to get it all back together. The washer stackups are inportant to get right. Also, if you removed the judder and seat, you should install an extra plate to keep the stack height correct. Some folks claim better clutch action with the judder removed, I've ridden it both ways and prefer the judder spring in for the tight stuff we ride, feels less on/offish if that makes sense.
bergilong

Re: Clutch Won't Disengage

Post by bergilong »

bufftester wrote:Verify your clutch cable and actuator are properly aligned and adjusted. When you put the clutch cover on how many spacers were on the clutch rod and is the push rod holder/bearing assembly in the correct orientation? If you are following the service manual it's pretty easy to get it all back together. The washer stackups are inportant to get right. Also, if you removed the judder and seat, you should install an extra plate to keep the stack height correct. Some folks claim better clutch action with the judder removed, I've ridden it both ways and prefer the judder spring in for the tight stuff we ride, feels less on/offish if that makes sense.
There was one spacer on the clutch rod. I'll reinstall the judder springs. Hopefully that will fix it