2003 KDX200 losing coolant

This area is for KDX 200 H series part numbers etc...

2003 KDX200 losing coolant

Postby KDX Rippa #36 » 09:01 pm Oct 07 2017

Hey guys so a few months ago I rebuilt the top end in my 03 kdx200 I broke the bike in and went on a couple trail rides no problem... During the first race with the new top end I was going up a hill climb, at the top I went to shift into 2nd and accidentally hit neutral. When I opened the throttle it suddenly started bogging out at full RPM, ever since then it bogs out at any random time when the bike is at full throttle its not all the time its only on occasion. then I noticed it was loosing coolant, fast forward to now I have to add about 2-4oz of coolant every time I finish riding. its becoming a pain in the ass not because I have to keep buying more coolant and I am always worried that its going to overheat if it loses to much. It doesn't smell like its burning it but I have no idea. could it be the head torque, blown head gasket, I have no idea I was also thinking it could be leaking out of the overflow tube but I have no way of finding that out. any ideas on what it could be?
KDX Rippa #36
Member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 06:04 pm Jan 25 2017
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: 2003 KDX200 losing coolant

Postby Jason » 10:49 pm Oct 07 2017

Do you have the overflow tank?
Thank you, Julien D for all your hard work!
User avatar
Jason
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net
 
Posts: 7297
Images: 11
Joined: 06:45 am Nov 01 2004
Location: AL, USA
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 245 times

2003 KDX200 losing coolant

Postby raygun » 10:59 pm Oct 07 2017

Maybe unrelated but I did have to change seal behind the water pump on mine. Check the weep hole perhaps?
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300
1982 Suzuki GS1100G
1999 Kawasaki KDX220
raygun
Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 04:28 pm May 25 2015
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

2003 KDX200 losing coolant

Postby ohgood » 06:24 am Oct 08 2017

KDX Rippa #36 wrote:Hey guys so a few months ago I rebuilt the top end in my 03 kdx200 I broke the bike in and went on a couple trail rides no problem... During the first race with the new top end I was going up a hill climb, at the top I went to shift into 2nd and accidentally hit neutral. When I opened the throttle it suddenly started bogging out at full RPM, ever since then it bogs out at any random time when the bike is at full throttle its not all the time its only on occasion. then I noticed it was loosing coolant, fast forward to now I have to add about 2-4oz of coolant every time I finish riding. its becoming a pain in the ass not because I have to keep buying more coolant and I am always worried that its going to overheat if it loses to much. It doesn't smell like its burning it but I have no idea. could it be the head torque, blown head gasket, I have no idea I was also thinking it could be leaking out of the overflow tube but I have no way of finding that out. any ideas on what it could be?



pull the head and replace the head gasket.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
 
Posts: 857
Images: 3
Joined: 10:00 am Jan 04 2014
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: 2003 KDX200 losing coolant

Postby KDX Rippa #36 » 09:27 pm Oct 08 2017

Jason wrote:Do you have the overflow tank?

yes I do I fill that with coolant and it drops to the low mark after 30 mins of ride time
KDX Rippa #36
Member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 06:04 pm Jan 25 2017
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

2003 KDX200 losing coolant

Postby KDX Rippa #36 » 09:28 pm Oct 08 2017

raygun wrote:Maybe unrelated but I did have to change seal behind the water pump on mine. Check the weep hole perhaps?

not sure about that there is no oil mixing with coolant anywhere so I don't really know
KDX Rippa #36
Member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 06:04 pm Jan 25 2017
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: 2003 KDX200 losing coolant

Postby KDX Rippa #36 » 09:32 pm Oct 08 2017

UPDATE: I pulled the spark plug out today and noticed it had water drops on it so I pulled the head and sure enough the piston had drops of coolant on it and the cylinder wall was also drenched in coolant, I dried all the coolant in the cylinder and coated the inside with WD-40 to prevent rust while I am waiting for a new head gasket.
KDX Rippa #36
Member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 06:04 pm Jan 25 2017
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: 2003 KDX200 losing coolant

Postby Jason » 10:52 pm Oct 08 2017

Did you install a new head gasket during the previous repairs?

Did you use a torque wrench?
Thank you, Julien D for all your hard work!
User avatar
Jason
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net
 
Posts: 7297
Images: 11
Joined: 06:45 am Nov 01 2004
Location: AL, USA
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: 2003 KDX200 losing coolant

Postby KDX Rippa #36 » 07:56 pm Oct 09 2017

Jason wrote:Did you install a new head gasket during the previous repairs?

Did you use a torque wrench?

yea I replaced the gasket when I did the top end and I toured the head with a torque wrench. I took a look at the head gasket today and it looks a little messed up so I am going to replace it and go from there.
KDX Rippa #36
Member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 06:04 pm Jan 25 2017
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: 2003 KDX200 losing coolant

Postby Jason » 09:17 pm Oct 09 2017

That is good. Eliminating vriables
Thank you, Julien D for all your hard work!
User avatar
Jason
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net
 
Posts: 7297
Images: 11
Joined: 06:45 am Nov 01 2004
Location: AL, USA
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 245 times


Return to KDX 200 H series

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests