2003 KDX200 losing coolant

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
KDX Rippa #36

Post by KDX Rippa #36 »

Hey guys so a few months ago I rebuilt the top end in my 03 kdx200 I broke the bike in and went on a couple trail rides no problem... During the first race with the new top end I was going up a hill climb, at the top I went to shift into 2nd and accidentally hit neutral. When I opened the throttle it suddenly started bogging out at full RPM, ever since then it bogs out at any random time when the bike is at full throttle its not all the time its only on occasion. then I noticed it was loosing coolant, fast forward to now I have to add about 2-4oz of coolant every time I finish riding. its becoming a pain in the ass not because I have to keep buying more coolant and I am always worried that its going to overheat if it loses to much. It doesn't smell like its burning it but I have no idea. could it be the head torque, blown head gasket, I have no idea I was also thinking it could be leaking out of the overflow tube but I have no way of finding that out. any ideas on what it could be?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2003 KDX200 losing coolant

Post by KDXGarage »

Do you have the overflow tank?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
raygun
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by raygun »

Maybe unrelated but I did have to change seal behind the water pump on mine. Check the weep hole perhaps?
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300
1999 Kawasaki KDX220
2003 Kawasaki KLX400SR
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

KDX Rippa #36 wrote:Hey guys so a few months ago I rebuilt the top end in my 03 kdx200 I broke the bike in and went on a couple trail rides no problem... During the first race with the new top end I was going up a hill climb, at the top I went to shift into 2nd and accidentally hit neutral. When I opened the throttle it suddenly started bogging out at full RPM, ever since then it bogs out at any random time when the bike is at full throttle its not all the time its only on occasion. then I noticed it was loosing coolant, fast forward to now I have to add about 2-4oz of coolant every time I finish riding. its becoming a pain in the ass not because I have to keep buying more coolant and I am always worried that its going to overheat if it loses to much. It doesn't smell like its burning it but I have no idea. could it be the head torque, blown head gasket, I have no idea I was also thinking it could be leaking out of the overflow tube but I have no way of finding that out. any ideas on what it could be?

pull the head and replace the head gasket.
KDX Rippa #36

Post by KDX Rippa #36 »

Jason wrote:Do you have the overflow tank?
yes I do I fill that with coolant and it drops to the low mark after 30 mins of ride time
KDX Rippa #36

Post by KDX Rippa #36 »

raygun wrote:Maybe unrelated but I did have to change seal behind the water pump on mine. Check the weep hole perhaps?
not sure about that there is no oil mixing with coolant anywhere so I don't really know
KDX Rippa #36

Post by KDX Rippa #36 »

UPDATE: I pulled the spark plug out today and noticed it had water drops on it so I pulled the head and sure enough the piston had drops of coolant on it and the cylinder wall was also drenched in coolant, I dried all the coolant in the cylinder and coated the inside with WD-40 to prevent rust while I am waiting for a new head gasket.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Did you install a new head gasket during the previous repairs?

Did you use a torque wrench?
KDX Rippa #36

Post by KDX Rippa #36 »

Jason wrote:Did you install a new head gasket during the previous repairs?

Did you use a torque wrench?
yea I replaced the gasket when I did the top end and I toured the head with a torque wrench. I took a look at the head gasket today and it looks a little messed up so I am going to replace it and go from there.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

That is good. Eliminating vriables