Stock bike time for some mods

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
atvman2010

Post by atvman2010 »

Hey,
I've got myself 02 kdx 200 bike is completely stock. I'm looking at things I could possibly do, like reeds, exhaust, jets. Anyone have there opinions on what could be a good set up for trail riding low to mid torque?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Stock bike time for some mods

Post by KDXGarage »

Swap to KDX220R? :razz: Sorry, had to. :?

What have you done so far? What is the current state of the bike?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

Definitely look at some Boyesen dual stage reeds.
Another excellent upgrade is to have the head reworked by Ron Black (RBdesigns).
Then jet it to match your setup.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

if the budget allows I would get a set of Boysen reeds, the $30 ones, part number 608 I believe. Take off the air box lid or at least the snorkel, mount an FMF woods pipe and turbine core silencer and most definitely jet all three circuits after that, following the jetting guide to a T. Jetting in my opinion is the best bang for the buck change you can do. There is a lot of hidden power in the KDX.

For another $8 a different carb needle is a good mod. CEL needle for a bit of a hit and DEL for a mellow power delivery. A good start on jets if you don't own any is 2 pilot jets smaller than what you have, the needle, and 1 main jet larger than what you have and three smaller ones , so you'll have 3 pilots and 5 mains total.

One of those small $3 telescoping mechanics mirrors is good to have for main jet changes. Sometimes getting it started is as hard as getting the black screw on carb top started lol. You would think with the coarse threads it would be easy but it's not.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

607 maybe?
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

No question the power mods are sexy and fun. However, IMO, the best thing you can do is make certain your suspension is as good as it can be and dialed in for you.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

doakley wrote:No question the power mods are sexy and fun. However, IMO, the best thing you can do is make certain your suspension is as good as it can be and dialed in for you.
+1 On a bone stock bike the absolute best bang for the buck is getting it suspended properly. Everything else should come second. My order would be jetting (baseline the bike for later mods), suspension, protection (skid plate, bark busters, etc) then move onto engine.
KDX Rippa #36

Post by KDX Rippa #36 »

I would get a vforce3 reed valve system with a full fmf exhaust system on the bike that would wake the engine right up. Lots of people say to set up the suspension but honestly if your not racing it then you don't really need it just make sure its not so soft that your bottoming out the suspension.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Completely disagree with the above. Stock the bike is suspended for a 140 pound rider up front, and a 180 pounder out back...unbalanced. More motor isn't going to make up for proper handling, no matter what anyone else says. You don't have to be racing to benefit from a properly suspended bike.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

bufftester wrote:Completely disagree with the above. Stock the bike is suspended for a 140 pound rider up front, and a 180 pounder out back...unbalanced. More motor isn't going to make up for proper handling, no matter what anyone else says. You don't have to be racing to benefit from a properly suspended bike.
+1

Could not agree more. I only trail ride and putting the proper springs in made a world of difference. So much more fun to ride and I can ride longer without getting tired. Then I would jet the bike correctly.
atvman2010

Post by atvman2010 »

Thanks for all the good info!
KDX Rippa #36

Post by KDX Rippa #36 »

Dekon wrote:
bufftester wrote:Completely disagree with the above. Stock the bike is suspended for a 140 pound rider up front, and a 180 pounder out back...unbalanced. More motor isn't going to make up for proper handling, no matter what anyone else says. You don't have to be racing to benefit from a properly suspended bike.
+1

Could not agree more. I only trail ride and putting the proper springs in made a world of difference. So much more fun to ride and I can ride longer without getting tired. Then I would jet the bike correctly.
true but kdx suspension seems like something that cant be done by a company such as factory connection or race tech not everyone can install springs themselves
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Any suspension company can swap springs. It is not hard to do.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

atvman2010 wrote:Hey,
I've got myself 02 kdx 200 bike is completely stock. I'm looking at things I could possibly do, like reeds, exhaust, jets. Anyone have there opinions on what could be a good set up for trail riding low to mid torque?
All of the above and then some! Once you start modding there is no stopping its addicting :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

KDX Rippa #36 wrote:I would get a vforce3 reed valve system with a full fmf exhaust system on the bike that would wake the engine right up. Lots of people say to set up the suspension but honestly if your not racing it then you don't really need it just make sure its not so soft that your bottoming out the suspension.
I agree with vforce3 reeds and disagree about the suspension, the suspension was hands down the best change I made on my bike. I did my suspension way later than I should have. I don't race and I definitely take full advantage of my reworked suspension. I think by the time someone is considering modding for more power they too could be faster and more comfortable through the trails or track with suspension changes alone even just springing for weight and getting comfortable with the clickers.

After suspension
1. First I would jet it that's cheap and makes a huge difference a properly jetted bike will feel like a completely different animal!
2. Second I would rework the forks or swap them (technically have to rework the swapped forks too...)
3. Then go nuts reeds are the cheapest way to get some more power/response after jetting of course
4. Expansion chamber and airbox lid next I personally don't believe there's anything wrong with the stock silencer
5. The RB head mod was the last thing I did but have not been able to use it to its potential yet due to an issue with the bike :sad:
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.