NEED HELP PLEASE!!! (SOLVED)

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Gixxer340
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Gixxer340 »

OK, so I have a 2001 200 that I absolutely love. I just put tires on it this weekend (Shinko) and was getting ready to test them out. I started the bike and leaned it against the house (no kickstand) and continued working in the back yard. It had been warming up about 5 minutes and I heard the idle go down some. As I come around the corner I notice that the bike had slid forward and is laying on its right side still idling. It was probably laying like this for 30-40 seconds (definitely less than a minute). I ran over and hit the kill switch and stood the bike up. I did notice that there was gas pissing out of one of the tubes underneath.

I then proceeded to restart it and take a quick ride around the yard and out into the back woods. After about 200 yards it bogs out and dies. Since then I have not been able to get it to restart.

Here is what I checked

Bike has spark
Bike is getting gas to the spark plug (always wet when I take it out)
Tried a new plug (NGK BR8ES gapped to .8mm)
Did a compression test (Slightly over 120 PSI cold with the throttle wide open)

Since the last time I was riding it significantly (about 3-4 hours riding in Maine) I have only cleaned and re-oiled the air filter and put new tires on it. I did the filter just like I always do but I am wondering if I should try removing it just to see if it will start without it on there.

The bike seems to have all it should need to run (spark, Fuel, compression and I am assuming air). It just won't fire. I have had the bike for a little over a year and it has never given me trouble. A couple kicks from cold with the choke on and it fires right up and runs like a bear.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff
Last edited by Gixxer340 on 08:59 am Sep 03 2017, edited 1 time in total.
- 2001 KDX200 - KX front forks, RB head and carb mods, Gnarly pipe

-The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him - unknown
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Post by Molly's 70 »

Maybe the crank case was filled with some fuel while it was on it's side. Just taking a guess.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Post by canamfan »

I'd take the plug out and kick it over, with the fuel shutoff, throttle open. That should help clear the crankcase. Probably should keep the plug grounded while kicking.
Gixxer340
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: NEED HELP PLEASE!!! (SOLVED)

Post by Gixxer340 »

OK, complete brain fart on my part. Too much going on at once I guess. Remember how I said that I had only cleaned the air filter since the last time it ran well. Well there was one more thing that I did. Stuff a rag in the airbox boot so that nothing would get down in there while the filter was off. :doh: Well, come to find out you can't leave a rag in the airbox and expect the bike to run correctly.

I assume that (other than potentially ruining a plug and filling the exhaust up with fuel) no other lasting damage was done. If I am assuming incorrectly please let me know.

And... Thanks all for being a witness to my stupidity. Hopefully it can be a lesson to others that it is always the simplest things.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
- 2001 KDX200 - KX front forks, RB head and carb mods, Gnarly pipe

-The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him - unknown
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Sweet, zero dollar solution! Ride on. :boogie:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
david

Post by david »

Don't feel bad. I had a co-worker leave a rag in the intake of a 454 El Camino when he had the carb off. It ran on 7 cylinders for a bit and then we started seeing pieces of red rag coming out the tail pipe. After realizing what he did, he just kept revving on it until it cleared up and the rag came through, one piece at a time. He was a little on the lazy side, to say the least.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Lol glad you got it figured out!

Last weekend when we were getting ready to go riding, my buddy was sitting there laying on the E-start on his brand new KTM... couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. Me and some other guys just stood behind him laughing for a while... after letting him get good and frustrated, I pulled his plug out of his pipe and said good thing you KTM guys have electric start, or you'd be really tired right now!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

:lol: :lol: Ehhhh don't feel bad, lol. Back in 2015 when I added the dual sport kit onto my bike, it added a key switch as well. Met up with some buddies at our local riding area... they were parked across the parking lot from where I was but I was getting ready to head over there. Go to start the bike up, kicking it, kicking it, kicking it..... would not start. I kept thinking "WTF is up here... this bike ALWAYS starts first kick.... without fail". Then I thought maybe I flooded the carb somehow and that's why it wouldn't start, so I rolled it over in the grass and laid the bike over on it's side to drain the carb out, picked it up and tried kicking it again..... kicking, kicking, kicking.... still wouldn't start. THEN..... I remembered, "oh yea, it's got a key now!". Turned the key on, started first kick :lol: :lol: :doh: :doh: :doh: :oops:

Got over to where my buddies were at..... who were watching me the whole time, and they said "what were you doing over there??". I said, "ohhh nothing..... nothing at all.... good to go!" hahah