Kick starter not engaging

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Kick starter not engaging

Post by patreilly »

Haven't posted in awhile. Got the 3 bikes done over winter. Having a problem with an 01 200. Kickstarter was not engaging on most kicks unless set just right. Disassembled, teeth on pawl and gear look like new. I ordered the small spring that pushes the pawl out to engage. It was twice the length of the old spring. I thought the old spring had lost its strength. I also ordered a new pawl. It didn't look any different than the old one wear wise. Reassembled, no difference still doesn't engage. A new stock spring should have solved the problem..... Why doesn't it? Is there a heavier spring that I can install. It is a very simple mechanism. I don't see what else it could be.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Kick starter not engaging

Post by bufftester »

Make sure you have the stackup correct between the case and the inboard side of the pawl. Going from the pawl inwards you should have the spring, a washer that the spring seats against, then a circlip that positions that washer on the kickstart shaft, then a smaller washer on the end of the shaft. Also, it's important to make sure you line up the dot on the kickstart shaft with the dot on the pawl for proper indexing, as well as make sure that the correct number of spacers are on both sides of the kickstart gear. If all that is right and still having issues check the condition of the idler gear (that sits below the kickstart shaft and behind the clutch) as well as the small gear on the back of the clutch for worn or damaged teeth. With the clutch off you can operate the kickstart assembly by hand to see if everything is aligned correctly.
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Kick starter not engaging

Post by patreilly »

Bufftester, Thank You very much. One of those has to be the problem. Thought I went by the drawing in the manual for stack up and dot line up after I got dot line up wrong the 1st time, but didn't check gears beyond that. I will check them out. I want that bike for my 1st ride of the 3 I have. It seems much peppier than the 2 220's I have. It has the Pro circuit pipe. The 220's have FMF. One woods one dessert.