Cause for limited clutch engagement?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I just finished rebuilding my motor, put it in the bike and started hooking everything up. When I connected the clutch cable, I noticed I could pull the lever to the bars and could only feel slight resistance at the very end of the pull. I looked down at the lever arm and compared it to the one on my hybrid. It can rotate too far forward before you can feel resistance on it.

I am thinking this has to be something in the clutch stack up, like it needs to come out towards the right side of the bike more so that the advancer (13235) can push in the rod (13114) into the clutch more. I remember putting in both of the 92200 washers in on either side 92028 :hmm: Before I called it quits for the night, I pulled the clutch cover and verified that the 92022A washer is in there (however, the diagram makes this washer's O.D. looks like it is larger than the actual washer). Can you think of anything else that I should be checking? I didn't change any clutch plates or springs or anything, and I wasn't experiencing any clutch issues before the rebuild.
KDX Clutch Assy.JPG
KDX Clutch Assy.JPG (38.48 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
david

Re: Cause for limited clutch engagement?

Post by david »

I would pull the whole assembly back out and recheck, because it sure sounds like one of the 92200 is missing.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Did you accidently lose a washer? I know some bikes came with none, one, or two. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the use of the washers. My bike has none, a friends bike has two. Both bikes plates have been measured and are within spec; so I don't know why his has two and mine has none.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

david - that is exactly how it is acting. I could have sworn I put that washer over the shaft before dropping the basket on. I am going to pull it off and confirm.

Dekon - Really? That is interesting. Are you talking about the washers that go on either side of 92028? I may have to play around and find out for sure. I would really hate to shuffle those around to make it work, when in reality something isn't shimmed properly on the transmission side . I'm trying to think back if I could have mixed something up on that side, but I nothing is jumping out to me when I look at the diagrams.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

if you have an E model clutch basket on a H bike you need more washers.

one barely engaged
two was closer.
three is perfect.

you can't "shim" the cable or the perch to make up for the space at the push bearing on the basket that releases the frictions... but you can shim the push bearing.

clear as mud ?
Last edited by ohgood on 06:35 am Jul 20 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Tyler, sorry I wasn't clear, I was referring to the 92022A washer.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

ohgood - Totally understand what you are saying.

Dekon - Thanks for clarifying!

When I get home from work today, I'm going to begin the hunt to see if there is another 92022A washer laying around. I started looking into this based on what you guys said, and came across this video (I believe this may be Ted98's video?). I can see he has two washers for that rod. I know for sure that both 92200's on either side of that sleeve are in there. It has to be missing a 92022A. I took a ton of photos when I was tearing down, but I can't see in any of them how many of those washers were in there.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Did you figure anything out? Fire up that newly rebuilt engine yet?
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Well, thanks for asking, but, unfortunately not. Still waiting to get another washer in the mail! I do have some extra clutch cover gaskets tho.... I'm half temped to pull the clutch cover off the hybrid and steal a washer from it so I can ride this one! If I don't have the washer by the weekend...that may have to happen.

I did find another copper washer laying that was a little bigger in OD and thicker than a standard 92200. I put it in place and now have clutch engagement (a little too tight, but I believe that is because the washer is too thick, about 1.6mm). So I am pretty confident that another correct washer will solve my problem. I didn't want to go riding using that copper washer because I figure it will smash down and deform... and could lead to other issues. So I'm waiting extremely patiently!