Rear hand lever brake

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Rear hand lever brake

Post by patreilly »

kdx 003.JPG
kdx 003.JPG (831.26 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
kdx 003.JPG
kdx 003.JPG (831.26 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
Guys, I posted that I had fabricated a rear hand brake a few months ago, Someone requested pics. I finally took some to sell the bike. The bracket mounts on the back of the master cylinder. Longer mstr cyl mount bolts are required. The top bolt has a nut on it, but the bottom bolt just barely sticks thru the bracket to keep it from pivoting. There is not enough room between the swing arm and the bracket for a nut. The distance between the 50 mm spaced 2 vertical 3/16" diameter ( if memory serves me) mounting holes and the cable slot is 2 1/8" front to rear. The bracket is 2 pcs of 1/16" thick sheet steel. The smaller piece, for the cable pass thru, wraps around the larger plate and is welded on the back. I put a slight bend outward about 2/3rds of the way back to get the cable pass thru over the rear of the brake lever. I n addition I welded a 3/16" thick piece of steel to the rear of the brake lever and drilled it for a 3/16" pin.
Now I'll see if I can post a pic.
I see that this is the 1st one I built and the front to back distance is 3". I altered that and reduced it to the 2 1/8" stated above making the piece welded to the lever shorter.
I have my doubts if the pic posted.
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Rear hand lever brake

Post by patreilly »

Guys, THE PICS POSTED!. I meant to mention I had to put an in line cable adjuster in the cable to be able to get sufficient cable adjustment.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Nice! Pretty nifty lil set-up there. Hows it work for ya?
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by patreilly »

Tyl3r, They seem to work well. I haven't ridden much yet. I put it on all 3 KDX's I went thru this winter. The design evolved slightly to the measurements I quoted. I made the unit more compact on the last one. If I get the chance I'll take pics of the "current" model. Just make sure if you are going to build one, put an in line cable adjuster in. I had to take the 2 original cables apart and install those adjusters when I couldn't get enough adjustment at the lever.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Smart, I like it.