Purple side plates and rear fender?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I recently obtained some purple side plates and stock style rear fender from a fellow forum member. When I saw them go up for sale, I jumped on them because I have never seen or heard of them before. I tried looking around online for photos or more info and all I found was one short thread on another site. All it said was a company in Italy made them for 2 or 3 years.

Has anyone ever seen these? Do you know if anyone still makes them? They are in pretty rough shape. I'm in the middle of wet sanding and buffing them out now. I'd love to get a better shape rear fender if I could.

Also, has anyone successfully removed the light colored stress marks that you can see in colored plastics? I will post some photos up when I get home of what I mean. A friend was thinking maybe some heat (hairdryer or heat gun on low) could help to bring the color back? I'm afraid to just go experimenting, especially if I can't get replacements!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Purple side plates and rear fender?

Post by John_S »

I've seen quick videos of using a heat gun on plastics to remove the white stress marks on Yamaha blue plastics. I also saw one where a guy basically melted the top layer down to try and restore the color. That one I wouldn't recommend. The crease removal looked like it worked fairly quickly. Look up atv plastic restoration or dirtbike plastic restoration on youtube and see if its worth pursuing. I know youre into powdercoating and I've heard of coating plastic with low temp powders before but have never seen it. I cant really imagine its a good idea on dirtbike fenders but you never know, maybe as an experiment if they're beyond wet sanding.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I've never seen purple side panels for the H series but I have seen blue ones for the E series .... They could be mistaken for purple.... Have a look on the UFO plastics website .
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

John - OK, i'll take a look around on YouTube after work. I figured someone had to have given it a go on there. I definitely don't want any melting to happen! haha sanding out the scuffs sucks bad enough, I could only imagine how much time it would take to fix a melted spot.

We researched powdering plastics with the low temp powders and really thought about it, just too much risk! We fear some things will be ok at the cure temp, but others may not . We don't have a very good way to tell if it would be ok or not, so we don't want to take the chance of ruining someone's stuff. I don't really like the idea of a coating on top of plastics anyways. Even with powder, I would imagine it would crack and flake off if you gave the plastic a good bend. I might say screw it though and experiment on an old set of white side plates... just need to find the right shade of purple :hmm:

and thanks cornishwrecker220. I did a quick check on there, no dice. Like I said, the ol google machine didn't turn up much when I was looking the other day.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

UFO used to make various colors for various bikes. 30 years ago they made orange shrods for KX.

They made Aqua (the blue that cornishwrecker mentioned) for the E and I think purple for the last version of KDX. They have not showed up often on eBay.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
frenche200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by frenche200 »

Ufo also made purple side panel, rear fender and shrouds for E series
i'm French and I don't speak English very well, so, please, excuse me :)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128