KIPS advance reassembly

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

KIPS advance reassembly

Post by patreilly »

About ready to reassemble my 01 200. I can't find info in manual about whether the KIPS shaft should be rotated max clockwise or counter clockwise when engaging the rack during assembly. Can anyone advise which way, if you understand the question?
ScruffyDroid
Supporting Member

Re: KIPS advance reassembly

Post by ScruffyDroid »

https://haroldbawlzangya.com/2014/04/02 ... -kdx-kips/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by patreilly »

Scruffy, Thanks for the link. To get the line on shaft close to that picture, The shaft must be turned full clock wise. That must be fully closed on the valve and it would open as rpm increases.

Thanks again.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

patreilly wrote:Scruffy, Thanks for the link. To get the line on shaft close to that picture, The shaft must be turned full clock wise. That must be fully closed on the valve and it would open as rpm increases.

Thanks again.
Maybe I'm reading what you're saying wrong. Full clockwise on that gear is valves wide open. You need to have the gear full counter clockwise (valves closed) and then attach the left hand thread actuator arm making sure the indented dot on the arm and the line on shaft line up.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I guess it would all depend on which side you are looking at lol. From memory, I think john is looking from the RH side of the motor, and pat is looking from the LH side. It is so that main valve is all the way into the cylinder as far as it can go.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike