clutch ratchet spring

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

clutch ratchet spring

Post by patreilly »

Well guys I received my new kick starter ratchet spring. Ratchet looked like new and the old spring seemed like it was strong enough to engage the ratchet. Set the new spring on the bench next to the old one. The new one is 1/8" longer than the old one. The old one has evidently lost that much length, which is significant for a light compression spring that is 3/4" long to start with.
Thanks to whoever said they had kick starter slip problem, replaced the ratchet spring and it solved the problem. Hope I have the same experience when I get it back together.
Also I found the hillbilly that worked on this bike previously substituted a washer behind the clutch throw out bearing instead of a washer on the "outside" of the throw out bearing. I would not have figured that out with the Kawasaki Service Manual. I had to go to Bike Bandit drawings to see the proper parts assembly. Bike Bandit assembly drawings are invaluable in seeing the proper assembly.
Is there another source for assembly and parts drawings. I have Kawasaki Service Manual.
Also thanks to whoever suggested I forget about a flywheel holder and use an impact wrench to remove the clutch nut. Harbor Freight Tools on sale $39 1/2" drive impact that I bought and have used on 2 other projects in the last week. I need to go back and get the 6 point impact sockets.
david

clutch ratchet spring

Post by david »

The Bike Bandit parts breakdowns are the factory Kawasaki breakdowns, available from several different online parts dealers (but they are all the same) and yes, they are very handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: clutch ratchet spring

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the current update. Let us know how it works out.

If you do go impact socket shopping at HF, a lot of people on garage journal recommend to get the Pittsburgh Pro and skip the Pittsburgh ones.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128