H series Head On E Series Bottom End

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
rexemouse
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rexemouse »

Hello,

I am a first time poster, long-time lurker.

I have read every possible thread related to swapping an H series head onto an E series bottom end, and still cannot conclude if its possible.

Early last year, I bought a hack-job '95 cr125 steel frame hybrid that came with an E-series engine. I completely rebuilt the whole bike and swapped in an H-series engine that i scored on craigslist. I finished the bike and wouldn't trade it for anything. :razz:

Last weekend, i came across a '96 kdx with a locked up transmission for very cheap. The bike is rough cosmetically, but everything feels tight and all the parts are there. My hope is that i can simply take my spare E-series engine that came with the CR, and swap the inner clutch crankcase cover, kips, and head onto the E bottom end. Would it be this simple, or am I going to have to start splitting cases?
Thanks,

-Justin

Last edited by rexemouse on 06:04 pm Apr 24 2017, edited 1 time in total.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: H series Head On E Series Bottom End

Post by bufftester »

You wont be able to use the H-series head, KIPS or inner clutch cover on the E. Would be cheaper and easier to pull the locked up motor out of the 96, split the cases, and find out the problem in the tranny. Also, the E-series bottom end is not going to be a direct bolt-on to the H frame. Not saying it can't be done, but with parts for the E's getting more and more scarce, makes more financial sense to fix the H motor.
bergilong

Post by bergilong »

I don't have any answers, but I am curious as to what that CR with the KDX motor looks like lol. Could you post a pic of it?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I see to recall the bottom end of the two bikes being the same. The things that will matter are; Rear engine mount, water pump drive, kips governor drive and the head stay. You could always put the E series head on the E cylinder. The water pump and kips drive will have to be looked at with the inner clutch cover off, but you got to take that of to split cases any ways. So, measure the rear mount and make sure that is the same on both bikes, then go from there.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

rexemouse wrote:I have read every possible thread related to swapping an H series head onto an E series bottom end, and still cannot conclude if its possible.
If you throw enough money at it - maybe it is possible. But that is a big "maybe" and in my opinion definitely not worth it. It would be much cheaper, easier and predictible just to rebuild the h series engine.
rexemouse
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rexemouse »

I keep reading that the bottom ends are identical. Ive been comparing part numbers and everything seems to jive. I was hoping the inner clutch case would bolt to the E bottom end,and that the case would have everything i need for the kips.

Ive been conflicted by this thread http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=16415

Thanks,

Here is the '95 cr hybrid

Last edited by rexemouse on 06:04 pm Apr 24 2017, edited 1 time in total.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Like it is stated in that thread, you need the kips rod, pretty sure all the water pump parts. I'd even use the h clutch if it fits. Like I said earlier, you have all the parts, give it a shot. It's unreasonable if you have to source all the parts, but you have them all. Take the h motor out and strip it, just like you where going to split the cases, then remove the inner cover from the e motor and start comparing measurements. Then make a list of questions for us.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Are you looking at reference numbers and not whole party numbers, thinking they are the same? I have seen this 1,000 times in the last 15 years.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

Jason wrote:Are you looking at reference numbers and not whole party numbers, thinking they are the same? I have seen this 1,000 times in the last 15 years.
Yep - you have to look at the full number and not just the first 4 or 5 digits. Like all water pumps start with the same xxxx but it is the numbers that come after the - that make all the difference.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Go to Partzilla.com, it will show you what bikes share the same parts.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

When you say "head", do you mean cylinder and head, as in the top end?
rexemouse
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rexemouse »

I was comparing part numbers on bikebadit. I just did the same on partzilla. Below is a side by side of the cranks cases, and the inner crankcase clutch cover. It seems the bottom ends are identical up to the inner crank case cover, but I really wont know until i get the two motors side by side and see what swaps over.

By head, i mean top end. So E-series crankcase/ gearbox and swap over the H top end, kips, clutch engine cover, clutch, ect.

Thanks for the help,

-Justin
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Do you understand that the numbers you have underlined are reference numbers??

Part numbers are usually nine digits.

Five dash four
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

There is going to be very little between the two engines that are truly interchangeable. Probably some seals and some bearings. There is no way the bottem ends are the same-impossible. As I and Jason stated, you have to look at the entire part number.
rexemouse
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rexemouse »

Yes i understand, and I've referenced the parts numbers for both and the crankcase covers are different, but all of the parts internals match. Sometimes, the manufacturers alter part numbers without any real change. At this point, i just have to get the engines apart and start swapping covers. I was hoping that someone here could confirm if it is possible before I attempt this. I will post back with what i find.

Thanks for the help.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

On Partzilla, if you click the part on the right side list a new window will open with the part and show you which bike share that part. I just did the 95 crank cases and they are only listed as 95 and up for the 200 and 220.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The clutch cover bolts are 5 mm longer on the newer model, if I am seeing it correctly. Some parts are the same, but some are not.

Let us know how out works out, as you have the parts handy.
david

Post by david »

Just a pet peeve of mine.....95' means 95 feet. '95 is an abbreviation of 1995

Ok, I'm finished.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

david wrote:Just a pet peeve of mine.....95' means 95 feet. '95 is an abbreviation of 1995

Ok, I'm finished.
LOL. I get the same way. :lol: It is always fun to see a 10 feet subwoofer on craigslist. (10')
rexemouse
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rexemouse »

david wrote:Just a pet peeve of mine.....95' means 95 feet. '95 is an abbreviation of 1995

Ok, I'm finished.
Fixed. Thanks for pointing that out. #dislexia