Resonator cover gasket cut or not?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Resonator cover gasket cut or not?

Post by John_S »

The KIPS resonator cover gasket has an extra section running down the middle. Do you guys cut the middle section out of leave it there? Does it serve as an airflow divider of some sort? Seems like the air would flow cleaner if it wasn't there.
IceCold4x4

Re: Resonator cover gasket cut or not?

Post by IceCold4x4 »

I think it's just a remnant of the manufacturer's process the zrx has a similar gasket style for a cover that sees zero airflow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
1997 KDX 200 - FMF pipe and silencer and I have no clue what else yet.
2000 ZRX1100 - 1109 big bore, ZX11 carbs / cams/ double valve springs / igntion box / Kerker exhaust. It's Mad Max black and fast but rarely clean
2006 Volvo XC90 V8 - The toy hauler and sleeper. 300hp and AWD in a soccer mom SUV.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

IceCold4x4 wrote:I think it's just a remnant of the manufacturer's process the zrx has a similar gasket style for a cover that sees zero airflow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Thank you for the reply and good luck on your project bike I've been following along with.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I believe that part of the gasket is just there to help it hold it's shape while you install it. No harm to leave it on. The resonator cavity isn't really for airflow, its to increase the volume of the exhaust port for the KIPS. That piece of gasket isn't going to interfere with anything.