2 Stroke Oil

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Willbilly

2 Stroke Oil

Post by Willbilly »

Is there a favorite 2 stroke oil among H series riders? I use Amsoil Dominator and have never tried anything else. I tried to search the word oil on this site but it comes back as "too many results try again"
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 2 Stroke Oil

Post by Tyl3r »

Its preference more than anything else. This can basically be a never-ending conversation lol There was one going on here within the past month or so.

For what its worth, I run the Amsoil Sabre and am pretty pleased with it. I've never tried it before, but the Amsoil Dominator should be pretty good stuff (never heard anything bad).
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
Dave B
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Dave B »

Spark the fire further and ask what is the best mixture ratio!

I have run many brands over the years, usually a synthetic, all with good results. Right now I'm using Amsoil Interceptor, I picked it over the Dominator as I read the Dominator is for highly modified race engines that create higher heat. It has a lower flash point (or was it a higher flash point) that doesn't burn as clean in a lower revving trail bike such as my 220 resulting in more carbon buildup. The interceptor is supposed to be better for power valves. I don't have proof of this as I switched from Klotz to the Amsoil before my last rebuild, there was some buildup. Klotz smells good thou!!
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

2 Stroke Oil

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Again you're gonna get a million different answers to this, lol.... all will neither be right or wrong. Pretty much any synthetic will work well.... I'd just focus more on flashpoint, and choosing a lower flashpoint oil for our lower compression, lower RPM, cooler running tractor motors, lol.... helps keep the power valve clean and working properly

But I'll throw my experience in too, with what I guess most would consider a fairly high hour/mileage motor (for a 2 stroke).... as far as running goes at least, as I haven't torn it down yet. Other than a little bit of the old Mobil 1 MX2T when I first bought my bike 2 years ago, I've run nothing but Spectro Platinum SX-2 for awhile at first, and now Motul 700.... both mixed at 40:1. The Motul has a low flashpoint (much lower than the Motul 800) so it burns clean in the KDX and doesn't gunk up the power valve. I'm now about to turn 647 hours and a little over 11,500 miles, and still on the same top and bottom ends as when I bought it 2 years ago.... I literally haven't had to do a thing to it. It still runs like new, starts first kick hot or cold, 155 psi compression, plenty of power, leakdown test is perfect, and the piston and cylinder still look great. I've never once had to clean the power valve and it still operated smooth as butter when opened and closed manually or on it's own. Bike has been used for dirt, dual sport, supermoto, trackdays, 1 GNCC race so far, etc.... never missed a beat. The guy i bought it from rode it for 2 years before that and didn't do anything to it either, and he didn't know if the guy before him did either. He ran Amsoil in it... which I'm sure is a great oil as well. But I like being able to get the Motul by the gallon since I go through so much of it, lol. And it doesn't spooge a lot either

Not the greatest pic, but piston still looks good after 647+ hours

And this has been dead on every compression test

Again, not saying it's the best.... there's lots of great oils out there. But that's what I've used and had real good luck with it. IMHO something that's just as important to longevity as oil, is simply warming the bike up properly before each ride. I can't even tell you how many people i see start up a 2 stroke stone cold and immediately sit there and hold it wide open trying to "clear it out".... sitting there screaming on a stone cold motor. Absolutely makes me cringe every time.... sooooo bad for the top end. Thermal expansion people!!! lol :sad: I always start mine up and just let it idle for 'at least' 5 minutes or so, if not longer..... usually until the coolant temp is up to at least 130 or so
Willbilly

2 Stroke Oil

Post by Willbilly »

Thanks guys I'm going to try your recommendations
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

third gen, ever hear of metal fatigue? :shock:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128