Supermoto

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
bergilong

Supermoto

Post by bergilong »

I want to get a set of sumo wheels for my KDX, but I can't find the rear axle size. The Ninja EX250 has the same size front axle, so if I make some wheel spacers, the wheel should fit, right? What size rear axle does the KDX have? Are there any other issues I would have with this conversion? I know people have done sumo conversions on KDXs before, but the only one I could find was on an E model. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Supermoto

Post by 6 Riders »

Same size as the E model. Why not just lace up some sumo rims to kdx hubs?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDW
Supporting Member

Supermoto

Post by KDW »

As with any wheel conversion you are going to have to sort out brake callipers, disks, wheel spacers and possible wheel width problems. I would be inclined to see what people have done with KX's and then compare notes with what people do to get KX parts on a KDX. For supermoto you are probably going to want better forks so a KX upgrade will get you headed in a direction that might have proven results as well.
bergilong

Post by bergilong »

6 Riders wrote:Same size as the E model. Why not just lace up some sumo rims to kdx hubs?
I was looking to keep my dirt wheels so I could swap between sumo and dirt. Also, ninja 250 wheels are cheap. I will look into new KDX hubs and sumo rims though.

KDW
Supporting Member

Supermoto

Post by KDW »

or what he ^ said. But I still think you want a suspension upgrade. The stock forks will dive hard under braking and you will have no adjustment besides oil viscosity, preload and springs. You will likely want to re valve anyway so I think it would be better to put the effort and money into better forks.
KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

I guess if you are just talking about hitting the streets with your KDX and not seriously Supermotarding then sure whatever works. I have a Ninja 300 that I will be pulling the wheels off in a couple weeks when my tires get here. I can measure a few things if you like. I think the axles... should be the same as the 250's.
bergilong

Post by bergilong »

KDW wrote:I guess if you are just talking about hitting the streets with your KDX and not seriously Supermotarding then sure whatever works. I have a Ninja 300 that I will be pulling the wheels off in a couple weeks when my tires get here. I can measure a few things if you like. I think the axles... should be the same as the 250's.
I wasn't looking at doing anything serious, just having some fun. I will just take my wheel off and make sure the axle is a 17mm.

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The easiest way to get the KDX axle to fit a Ninja wheel is to change the bearings to a bearing that has the same OD as the ninja wheel and the same ID as the KDX bearing does. Easily done that way. You do have the problem of width between the swing arm on a kdx though. I believe the ones done hear use two front rims laced to the appropriate hubs.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
bergilong

Post by bergilong »

KDW wrote:or what he ^ said. But I still think you want a suspension upgrade. The stock forks will dive hard under braking and you will have no adjustment besides oil viscosity, preload and springs. You will likely want to re valve anyway so I think it would be better to put the effort and money into better forks.
I found some KX250 forks on Craigslist.
https://littlerock.craigslist.org/mpo/6038117040.html
Do I need to get the old steering stem pressed into the new triple clamps or are KX250 forks a direct swap?

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Yes, and you'd have to figure out what year those are, find a top triple clamp, get a spacer for the top bearing, rebuild them (if the internals are any good). For $150, I'd pass, for $50-$75, MAYBE. If you just want to blast around town on your KDX, I wouldn't worry about a fork upgrade. Just re-spring your forks and tune em up, they'll be fine.
bergilong

Post by bergilong »

Okay. My bike's street legal, so I should be able to have a decent amount of fun. I've been looking at lacing 17ers to stock hubs and I think I will go that route. I would not have to get wheel spacers made, so that's a plus.

MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MaverickAus »

I had a 2006 KLX250 which I bought D-Tracker rims for (sumo version of the KLX for Japan only). I am going to try them on my KDX200 once I get it back together. So long story short can't help right this minute but in a few weeks I'll be able to tell you if they fit.
Just a thought.

patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Supermoto

Post by patreilly »

If you end up with extra H model hubs with brake calipers, let me know. I have been thinking about lacing up some supermoto wheels.
Pat Reilly 630-292 6117 patreilly43@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Supermoto

Post by 6 Riders »

patreilly wrote:If you end up with extra H model hubs with brake calipers, let me know. I have been thinking about lacing up some supermoto wheels.
Pat Reilly 630-292 6117 patreilly43@gmail.com
E and H model hubs fit the front, E,H and Many year KX rears fit.