Plastic fuel tank repair on the cheap!

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Ukumehame kdx 200

Post by Ukumehame kdx 200 »

Just wanted to share this info for riders that don't have the money to spend on a new , Clark/ or IMS Tank. I purchased a 1996 KDX 200 in 2016, and I noticed that the fuel tank had little stress cracks from sun/heat damage. While on my first ride in the trails of Kahuku on the north shore of Oahu, the tank start to leak, so at the moment I did a quick temporary solution (gorilla tape) so I could keep riding for the day. But when I got home after cleaning up the bike , I emptied the fuel and aired it out and wiped the surface to be repaired with lacquer thinner, and scuffed the surface with 120 grit sand paper, and used ( JB-Weld Plastic Weld) this stuff works!! GYSOT !! It will get you back in dirt having fun and buy you some time so you can save up for a new tank. Aloha from the 808 state.
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Some sort of heat-based welding does a more permanent job, especially since polyethylene is pretty tough to form chemical bonds with long-term.

Here's a cheapie kit:
http://www.harborfreight.com/80-watt-ir ... 60662.html

Sometimes if I want a better match than standard plastic welding rod, I'll shave a piece off something like the reinforcement spines on the backside of a side panel to get some welding material that is closer color-wise.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Plastic fuel tank repair on the cheap!

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums.

sarrant, how well does plastic welding hold up on non-tanks, and what pieces have you tried it on? Thanks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Jason wrote:Welcome to the forums.

sarrant, how well does plastic welding hold up on non-tanks, and what pieces have you tried it on? Thanks.
It holds up pretty much as well as the original plastic, if the weld is structurally there, and, like metal, you got good penetration/bonding. I've done cracks in around mounting holes, or on the edge of plastic bits, too. I've also done a crack in plastic radiator tank on a car -- some sort of nylon. It held up for years, and that's under a good deal of pressure and hot/cold expansion cycles.

It's not gonna be a cosmetically perfect fix although if you are willing to spend some time with a heat gun and sandpaper, you might get it decent looking.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the reply and info.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Ukumehame kdx 200

Post by Ukumehame kdx 200 »

Thanks for the tip sarrant, if anyone else has any tips on this please do share! As for me this worked for me.

JB-WELD PLASTIC BOND
PART # 50133
3770 ,PSI
BONDS TO POLYETHYLENE, and POLYPROPYLENE
COLOR - TAN