cabin fever looking for something to fix or upgrade

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
kevinha924
Supporting Member

cabin fever looking for something to fix or upgrade

Post by kevinha924 »

So its winter not much to do around here in pa no snow just cold and rain so far. So I've been looking for something to fix or change and im thinking V force reeds or rad valve. Also i think my forks could use a tune up and have never tore a set apart is it something thats easy enough a newbie could do it? or better off finding a reputable shop to rebuild them? This place gives me to many ideas is the kx conversion about the same money as a rebuild and valve? just looking for some advice of cool things I can do to the bike to be ripping when it warms up a little? any advice is appreciated
Im in NWPA if anybody knows a shop that deals with fork rebuilds let me know
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: cabin fever looking for something to fix or upgrade

Post by diymirage »

slap some studded tires on, pull up your big boy pants and hit the ice
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What is your budget on forks or ... whatever you decide to do.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kevinha924
Supporting Member

Post by kevinha924 »

from what ive seen for fork rebuilds looking like it will be 250 or 300 so im wondering about the cost of the kx conversion and the benefits of doing it? and DIY ive recently found timbersleds and wish i could get my hands on one forget studded tires...
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I'd go over every bearing on the bike if you're looking for something to do. Either grease em up, or replace if they have any play.

The fork upgrade is definitely worthwhile, but at the same time, will definitely exceed the costs of rebuilding your stock forks. Especially if you go and have the used USD forks rebuilt before installing them (at least take them apart and inspect, change the fluids, etc). I'm not trying to discourage that swap by any means, just trying to lay everything out. I'm itching to swap the front end on my dual sport, but its not in the budget at the moment. Going to rebuild them this season then maybe do the swap next season.

I'm in SWPA, about a half an hour south of Pittsburgh. I don't know about all the way up your way, but down this way we have some reputable shops like MPR (Pittsburgh), PR2 (Butler),RSR (Bridgeville, who I've been using lately), FCR(East Palestine, OH) . Once the weather breaks, if you want to get together for a ride, let me know. I'm always down to ride with fellow KDX'ers
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

$250 or $300 to do it yourself or to pay someone?

Pretty much any set of KX forks you buy is going to need a rebuild, benefit from a revalve and may need different springs for your weight.

The KX forks could also be shortened internally to be able to keep the geometry the same without having to pull the forks up so high in the clamps.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Tyl3r wrote:I'd go over every bearing on the bike if you're looking for something to do. Either grease em up, or replace if they have any play.
+1 First money I spend every winter...new swingarm bearings, Linkage bearings/bushings, shock bushings. Then Fork seals/wipers. Not sexy, but sure worth the time and energy.
kevinha924
Supporting Member

Post by kevinha924 »

sounds reasonable maybe ill just stick to the basics winters just been killing me...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would suggest that you make sure everything is mechanically sound before buying hop up items.

Also, when's the last time the shock oil was changed? It's not a Monroe Gasmatic good for 30,000 miles. :mrgreen: