Split Cases now have Transmission Woes

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
KDX_Newbie

Split Cases now have Transmission Woes

Post by KDX_Newbie »

I have split my cases and replaced 3 tranny gears, 2 on the input (5th and 6th) and one on the output (forgot which one). I did crank bearings and seals while I was in there

Now that I replaced everything that needed fixing I thought I was ready to button everything back up. Currently the tranny binds on what seems like every other gear. Something like binds on 1,3, and 5 but 2,4, and 6 roll smoothly. The shift forks are in the correct order and in the correct gear grooves. I split the cases again tonight an repositioned and checked all gears. With the cases split, it still binds with the gears in the right side case.

I have the service manual beside me but it is pretty vague on most instructions. What the hell am I getting wrong? Transmission experts wanted!
KDX_Newbie

Re: Split Cases now have Transmission Woes

Post by KDX_Newbie »

Oh boy... Its winter and I can still hear the crickets. No one has any input?
JL4049

Post by JL4049 »

It's not a spacer shim in the wrong position on one of the gear clusters? If all gears are in the correct positions and side clearances are correct, that pretty much only leaves bearing position in the case and actual gear clearance between gear sets, if there is insufficient clearance between meshed gears it will bind as you have described, how this could happen I have no idea, seems unlikely but might be worth checking. Also, are the gear shaft bearings fully seated on the shafts? If not, it may be loading up the bearing, although you wouldn't likely see this when running in one case only?
Let us know how you get on as this is curious and has me interested.
KDX_Newbie

Post by KDX_Newbie »

It appears to me that the gears will not mesh due to side to side movement/play. There are no shims to have out of place. Looks like I'm going to take to the bike shop. Tired of running into problems that are over my head.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The gear side to side movement should be restricted by the snap rings between gear groups on each of the shafts. Ensure that you have the gears oriented on the shafts correctly so the dogs and grooves match properly. Double check your shift fork orientation on the idler shafts as well.