What did they do to my bike?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
rowyco

What did they do to my bike?

Post by rowyco »

I bought a 98 KDX the other week for a steal of a price. This one is street legal, so I'm stoked. :lol: The guy before me must not have known how to look for correct part numbers because I had an e series rear fender on it, a headlight from a suzuki with no power to it, and some hacked together bark busters. I'm trying to go through the mess they made of the lighting and make things the way I want them, so I go to rewind the stator and float the ground to convert the lighting to DC. I get into the stator only to find that the ground has already been floated off the stator, the extra wire is run up the wire wrap, then the wire is grounded to the frame on the pipe mount. Why would they go through the trouble of floating the ground at the stator, then connect that wire back to the frame? Oh well, I'll just continue on my way of making this bike what I want it to be.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: What did they do to my bike?

Post by KDXGarage »

The joy of "previous owner maintenance". :roll:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
rowyco

Post by rowyco »

Does anyone know the difference between an aftermarket stator coil vs. the original? I'm wondering if they may have put a higher capacity coil, like a Ricky Stator, in the bike?
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

post a pic of it, should be able to tell what it is. There are a few aftermarket ones, so its hard to say what the difference could be.

If you're trying to figure out what you have, here's what a Ricky Stator one looks like compared to a factory one (RS on top):

Factory one:

Ricky Stator

You can also check the output to see what you're getting. A factory one should put out about 60W
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out