Throttle hanging(WOT)

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
oldmankdx69

Throttle hanging(WOT)

Post by oldmankdx69 »

I recently had an episode with a my throttle hanging wide open. I just happen to be in the middle of a set of whoops. :shock: I survived but have been awful sore in certain areas of my body since. I am inquiring from you all if you have ever had this happen to you and what you found to be the problem. I have heard from a few people locally that the KDX 200 has a history of this happening. They said the needle hangs when in whoops or similar terrain , of course at high RPM. Other than the usual symptoms, has anyone heard of this and what solves the problem other than getting rid of the bike? THANKS!!!!
doctord23
Supporting Member

Re: Throttle hanging(WOT)

Post by doctord23 »

I have owned and ridden multiple kdx and hybrids for years and have ridden many terrains and tracks.
I have had one incident with a stuck throttle.
I found the cause to be the routing of the throttle cable.
It needs to be run to the outside of the head braces on the left side.
If you go down the middle, it can be affected by the heat from the pipe.
I don't see it as a carb issue. KX's and other bikes have run Keihins for many years.

I hope this helps you.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

That is one thing I changed. I did have it down the middle under the tank. It seemed to have too many bends and binding issues. Of course, I did the usual maintenance, check and lube cable. Check and lube throttle tube. I also took off the carb, checked everything and cleaned it good. Hope I fixed it. There is never a more helpless feeling than a stuck throttle and not being able to do anything about it. Really puts off your "fun riding" experience. Thanks for the reply doctord23.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

Hope you did fix it.
After my incident, I rerouted the cable and lubed it and never had another occurrence.
I hope your experience is similar.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Let's all remember that in an emergency it can make a world of difference to pull in the clutch. Better to let the engine Rev while you get speed under control than to launch off that large obstacle/dropoff/cliff/boulder/bike/forest.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Throttle hanging(WOT)

Post by canamfan »

For a few people locally to say this is common with the KDX is, to put it mildly (STUPID) if your listening to these local people for advice, you may become like them. The KDX like thousands of other bikes uses's common parts keihn carburetors, and throttle cables and controls made by the same suppliers. If your having problems it's something you have done wrong period, fix it and you will have no more problems.
oldmankdx69

Throttle hanging(WOT)

Post by oldmankdx69 »

Feels good being called STUPID when asking for some input on a particular subject. Guess I ask the wrong question, huh? It's pretty easy to be critical of someone when you have never been in their shoes. Think I'll keep my mouth shut for a while and watch posts from the other STUPID people.
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by patreilly »

Old Man, Don't let it get to you or slow down your posts. The "STUPID" poster is the one with the problem. Myself, I only get that worked up talking about career politicians!
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Let's kill the "Stupid" stuff right away. IMO no one is stupid for asking a question here. You'll hear "People who ride (Honda, Yamaha,KTM, SUZUKI,,,etc.) are "Stupid". Everyone is justifiably pleased with what they decided to purchase and ride and can sometimes get a bit defensive.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Throttle hanging(WOT)

Post by canamfan »

I apologize shouldn't answer posts when I'm in a pissed off mood.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Have you checked the condition of the throttle tube to make sure its not cracked anywhere too? I had a cracked one hang up on me before, but I was able to twist it back before anything bad happened. Like others have mentioned above, I don't see this as being a common KDX specific issue.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I thought he meant that the people who were saying it was common for it to stick were stupid, not sure though.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I think he was saying it was stupid for listening to locals for KDX advice.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

Since I started this post, how about I end it. Just goes to show, ask 10 people for an opinion, you get 10 different answers. Sorta like asking about oil or tires, huh? No disrespect intended across the board, but lets let this be the last entry on this post. No replies necessary!!!