Countershaft replacement

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
gravelcruiser
Supporting Member

Countershaft replacement

Post by gravelcruiser »

Due to excessive spline wear on my countershaft, I feel the need to replace it. Obviously the cases need split to do this. My question since I haven't done this before is, can I just remove the stator side to do this, and will I need a case splitter? I searched this site and other and didn't find the info I was looking for.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Countershaft replacement

Post by Tedh98 »

gravelcruiser wrote:can I just remove the stator side to do this, and will I need a case splitter?
I am not sure what you mean by removing the stator side. There are just two halves to the case. Yes on the splitter - that is not a job for screwdrivers and a hammer.
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Re: Countershaft replacement

Post by argclh6670 »

no need to do anything on left (stator) side except remove shift lever. Also, no need to split cases, you'll have to remove the inner clutch side case, remove clutch basket assembly.....from that point the shift shaft will slide up out....may wanna replace shaft seal on shifter side while you're at it.
gravelcruiser
Supporting Member

Countershaft replacement

Post by gravelcruiser »

What I meant by stator side is the left side of the crankcase, leaving the right side intact and not having to disassemble the clutch and primary gears on the right. Countershaft splines are half worn and pressure testing showed no loss of pressure indicating crank seals are in good shape.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

argclh6670 wrote:Also, no need to split cases, you'll have to remove the inner clutch side case, remove clutch basket assembly.....from that point the shift shaft will slide up out
The cases definitely need to be split if you are replacing the counter shaft.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Countershaft replacement

Post by Tedh98 »

gravelcruiser wrote:What I meant by stator side is the left side of the crankcase, leaving the right side intact and not having to disassemble the clutch and primary gears on the right. Countershaft splines are half worn and pressure testing showed no loss of pressure indicating crank seals are in good shape.
I find it easiest to remove and install the transmission with the two shafts/gears together. I then install the forks and align everything. I personally think you are going to make things more difficult and create more problems if you try to leave as much on the engine as you can. I think you'll find it easiest to work on it if you have it stripped down as much as possible.

You haven't mentioned how you're going to put the cases back together. Here are a couple of different ways of doing it: VIDEOS
gravelcruiser
Supporting Member

Countershaft replacement

Post by gravelcruiser »

Thanks for the info and the link, so it looks as I will be getting to know this engine very intimately :roll: guess that will give me the opportunity to spend even more. Lol. Just have to keep telling myself at least I haven't spent $9000.00 on a new bike..
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Post by argclh6670 »

Tedh98 wrote:
argclh6670 wrote:Also, no need to split cases, you'll have to remove the inner clutch side case, remove clutch basket assembly.....from that point the shift shaft will slide up out
The cases definitely need to be split if you are replacing the counter shaft.
oops, i spaced it...for some darn reason i thought he was asking aboht shift shaft for some reason! :rolleyes:
Jim B

Countershaft replacement

Post by Jim B »

gravelcruiser wrote:Countershaft splines are half worn and pressure testing showed no loss of pressure indicating crank seals are in good shape.
Why not buy a new front sprocket and weld it to the shaft? Should last for quite a few years...
gravelcruiser
Supporting Member

Countershaft replacement

Post by gravelcruiser »

Well, that's more or less what I decided to do since the pressure test was so good. I didn't lose a bit over a period of ten minutes. So I thought I might as well get some more time out of those crank bearings and seals. Ya know I wouldn't be able to leave them be if I was in there. So in the meantime, I am going to get a few of the special tools I need and start gathering up the parts when I have extra cash and be ready for the inevitable.