UFO Rear Fender - not fitting properly?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
TeamDoty
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TeamDoty »

Hey all,

I just installed a UFO rear fender (supposed to be a OEM-like replacement) on my '02. Bolt holes, etc. all lined up perfectly but the fender seems to be pointed up too high... there's a gap between it and the side panel/number plate and you can see the back of the frame underneath it.

I'll post up a pic' tonight but has anyone had a similar experience with these parts?

The UFO fender has 4 threaded inserts on the underside toward the rear... wonder if these are supposed to bolt to perhaps some bracket that I no longer have?

Just wondering because the PO put an MX style fender on it and it bolted down to a cross brace that is welded between the frame at the far back of the frame.

Thanks for any insight someone can provide!

Thanks!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: UFO Rear Fender - not fitting properly?

Post by bufftester »

From what I remember the UFO fender always did look like it was pointing up a bit. I think most folks modified the mount holes to adjust it.
TeamDoty
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TeamDoty »

Thank you!

Sorry, haven't been on here in a while... busy at work/home/etc.

I did look at the bottom of the UFO and there are four molded bosses with threaded inserts. I pulled/flexed the fender down a bit and it lined up pretty good with a couple holes in the welded cross-member of the back part of the frame. So, a couple bolts and washers later and she's back to looking like she should... yeah!

I took pics, I'll try to get those uploaded here so others can see.
raygun
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by raygun »

I was thinking about buying the same fender. Any chance you could upload those pictures?
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300
1999 Kawasaki KDX220
2003 Kawasaki KLX400SR
TeamDoty
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TeamDoty »

Here's what the fender looked like... I didn't have it bolted down on the underside/rear of the fender. Note you can see the rear subframe protruding from under the angled up fender:

And a view from the underside looking up from behind the rear tire (ignore the splooge please - so embarrassing!):

TeamDoty
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TeamDoty »

So I found that those threaded brass inserts in the plastic bosses under the fender lined up pretty good with the crossmember of the rear subframe.

I found some bolts and washers that fit and used them to draw/flex the fender down:

And the view from the side shows the improved alignment of the fender to the side panel/number plate and no more exposed subframe:

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: UFO Rear Fender - not fitting properly?

Post by KDXGarage »

Cool. Thanks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128