Auto Clutch

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
oldmankdx69

Auto Clutch

Post by oldmankdx69 »

I have a 2005 KDX 200 that I have been fixing up for play riding. I have gotten a lot of good advice and product recommendations from here, but have seen very little on anyone building their own auto clutch, such as seen on Harold Bawlzangya Racing site. Has anyone attempted to build one on their own, sort of "on the cheap" if you will? I would really like to see some other options before I lay out my hard earned cash for an auto clutch.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Auto Clutch

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

You can buy used parts and do the machining yourself if you want a cheap Rekluse. There are a couple of guys that have made their own.

Or you can try to find a Dyna Ring that will drop in.

EFM is another option.
Last edited by Tedh98 on 06:21 pm Nov 17 2016, edited 1 time in total.
oldmankdx69

Auto Clutch

Post by oldmankdx69 »

Thanks guys. I have researched and researched, and am constantly looking for a Dyna Ring, but as nice as an auto clutch is, I'm surprised there is not more discussion on here about one. Just curious. Seems like a lot of people ask the same old questions and run certain things into the ground without researching. Lots of good info in here if you just look. Not too much that can be done to a KDX that hasn't already been done and posted.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

There may be a new way of doing an old thing, so asking doesn't always hurt. Thanks for researching it though.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

Went ahead and bit the bullet. I ordered a Rekluse auto clutch and found a used YZ clutch basket on ebay. Expecting the parts this week. Will work on the process of installing on my KDX, hopefully will have finished right after the new year. Wouild like to ride, but weather is very cold right now. 4 degrees this morning. Roller coaster weather here, was 75 degrees on Friday. I will let you guys know how it goes with the install.
Simracer8

Auto Clutch

Post by Simracer8 »

Let me know how this works out,,Been thinking about doing the same..

:) :grin:
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

Update on auto clutch install. Still waiting on Rekluse, must be holiday delivery madness. Oh well, not really in a hurry. Got YZ basket, used OEM with plates and friction discs. Attempted to remove gear from basket, drilled and used hand grinder on rivets. Got plate off, but basket broke. What a bummer. :sad: Weather was nice Monday after Christmas, went riding with my son. :grin: Had the throttle stick open(WOT), went through a small tree and across trail twice before crashing. I guess one of the branches on that tree slapped me across the face, because my nose, upper lip, and teeth are very sore. :oops: Thank goodness for saftey gear. This all happened so fast I could not even think of kill switch. Oh well, now I have something else to work on. Great!!!
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

Hi oldmankdx69 your last post made me laugh. "Thank goodness for safety gear" I agree and ware it all now, one good crash like I used to do and I would be a sack of assorted bones.

It looks like you know what you are doing with a auto clutch but if you want a pictorial of how I went about it follow the link in the signature and go to page 31 down a bit. That is my first go which worked but first cheep version. My second go is down page 36, this one has worked no change since putting it in.
I would like heave weights for the way I ride and will get around to it one day if not distracted.
Regards
Tioli
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

Hey Tioli, I have really enjoyed your pictorial on the auto clutch, but have run into a problem. I'm sure it is me not understanding some of the machining needing to be done. I have gotten everything together with a Hinson basket and the Rekluse, but I cannot get the clutch pack seated properly . Did you have some machined off the bolt up splined part and do you still use a washer under it? Mine all mines up okay, but it sits too far up in the basket. Also, is a washer necessary under that part? Other than this and the high dollar machine work I had done, I am right on target with what I wanted to do. Thanks so much for your help. Good riding!!!
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

Update on my auto-clutch install. I finally got everything to fit correctly, Hinson basket, YZ 125 clutch plates(friction), KDX steel spacers, KDX gearset on the basket with proper machining done. Had to make 2 trips to machine shop, one for gearset and one for the edge of the basket. Had some trial and error with the plunger and cable adjustment. I have one of the older Rekluse LHRB controls with the small clutch lever. Once I got everything adjusted properly this works well for me. I am going to try the lighter spring setup(all red) to see if this will be better for my style of riding. I also am still using the used friction plates that came with the first basket which I broke. I will eventually want new ones. The first two rides I took over two weekends were very good. Mostly tweeking adjustments on cable and idle. There seems to be a fine line in the adjustments to eliminate the freewheeling effect. Sure seems nice not having to worry about stalling and having to restart so often. This is especially nice given my age. :lol: There, I beat everyone to it. Good Riding!!!
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Let us know your thoughts on the spring setup if you try the reds.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

I installed all the red springs a few weeks ago. Have only got to ride up and down the alley, but can already tell the difference. Will update as soon as I can get a good ride in. Have been helping my son with his new house purchase and the weather has not been cooperating either. Will give update ASAP. :grin: