air box repair

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
javjacob

air box repair

Post by javjacob »

I removed my airbox last night to make it easier to pull the carb to send to RB. I am also planning on doing a complete tear down to powder coat the frame. That thing is cram packed into the subframe. I had to remove the boot off the airbox to barely get it out.
I got all the airbox parts cleaned up and the front of the airbox had a pretty big hole which would allow water and crud to come in right on top of the air filter. The previous owner had tried to fix the hole with some white crusty gummy like stuff that looked horrible. Out of curiosity I looked up a new airbox and they cost $240 so I decided to fix it myself with a product called plastex. I have used this on a few other plastic repairs and it works just like advertised. I chiseled the white crusty stuff off with a flat screw driver and cleaned up the area with a few dremel bits and did the repair. It looks like new! I am going to have to get some pics up sometime soon. The link to the plastex is... http://plastex.net/Product_Info.php ...I highly recommend this product.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: air box repair

Post by KDXohio »

Hmm.. I wonder if that is something that could be used to fix a cracked gas tank.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Its not a glue or adhesive but actually plastic, its like a plastic weld. I would think if you got the tank cleaned and aired out and get the cracked surface prepped right it should work just fine. Gas tanks are picky though, I tried to repair a cracked gas cap with plastic epoxy a few years ago before I knew about this stuff and the gas ate the epoxy.

Wont hurt to try though and its handy to have for all kinds of plastic repairs. So far I have repaired a broken plastic John Deere garden tractor hood that costs over $400 to replace and I have repaired 2 plastic airboxes. All 3 repair jobs have turned out perfectly. This stuff has saved me a lot of money. :bravo:
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

got some pics.

*Fixed img links,

-JRC
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is that before or after?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I think there is supposed to be a hole there for the crankcase breather hose to enter the airbox? My dualsport has a hole there for that and I drilled a hole in my KX125 airbox to do the same on my hybrid. It was around 3/8" diameter or so. I think it was on that side?
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

Its a after pic. The hole before was a busted out hole large enough I could put a half dollar coin through it. I will have to drill a hole for the crankcase breather. The previous owner just had it zip tied up with the wiring harness. In the 2nd pic which is from the inside you can somewhat see the outline of how big the hole was. On the outside I overlapped the hole a little bit since the plastic had a bunch of scratches and gouges from who knows what and sanded it as smooth as I could.
I should have gotten pics of it before but I didn't know there was a hole under the white crusty crud before I started scraping it off. Believe me it looks 100X better than it did before. I didn't even take pics until I had it finished because I didn't know if I was going to be able to save the airbox. I am very happy with the outcome and its as strong as it was new. :grin:
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

looks like a good fix to me!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike