Street legal lighting, questions

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
taxonomy

Street legal lighting, questions

Post by taxonomy »

I am picking up a 2000 KDX200 tomorrow and need to dual sport it. I am looking at the 85 watts Ricky Stator lighting coil. Is the output from this coil AC or DC?

Will I need a regulator/rectifier to make this work? I was thinking of getting the trail tech one but on the Ricky Stator site it says that it requires a DC stator.

I have searched many posts on this site and others but can't seem to find anything conclusive.

If I just want to buy off the shelf parts and wire it up how can I get sufficient power of the right type?

The Bike I am getting has a polysport headlight and I would like to run one of the 20/35 watt LED headlights around. I have them on two bikes and like them. Ideally I would also run the Tusk dual sport kit and it's cheap, LED and has everything I need.

If someone can help me with the supply side of the equation I would really help.

Also, do I need a flywheel puller to get the new coil onto the Stator?

Thanks

Adam
taxonomy

Re: Street legal lighting, questions

Post by taxonomy »

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... dual+sport

I think this thread has the answers I need. Basically the lighting coil isn't grounded and both ends get connected to the RR.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. You will need a flywheel puller to get underneath the flywheel to the stator plate, where the coils are.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Normally the lighting coil is grounded to the frame. For most dual sport kits you have to float the ground (remove it from the frame) to add the Reg/Rec and a battery. When you do that be very sure that you don't ground your lighting/signals/horn to the frame or you will have problems. Total cost is going to be in the $250-300 range depending on what your state requirements are. I know here in WA we have to do the full monty (head, tail/brake, turn signals, 2 mirrors, horn, DOT tires).

You can rewind the coil yourself and save some money. It's well documented on this site, and I have done 3 personally, it's not that difficult. The Tusk LED kit gets you pretty much everything you need (except the headlight) for around $200