The eternal handlebar question

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ced64k
Supporting Member

The eternal handlebar question

Post by ced64k »

I would like to change the handlebar on my KDX200H. It was chosen by the previous owner and it seems very high. It's a Racetech "Ricky C." (italian brand).

I'm tall (5'90"). At the last race I ride (GNCC/cross-country type and not woord riding) I had the impression that my wrists were broken and not in the correct position.

I would to go back to a neutral/common handlebar like Renthal Twinwall like 996 or 997. But the recommandation for KDX200H and tall rider is generally CR High/918.

And also with my KX125 upper triple I need 22->28.6mm adaptors but it raise the handlebar +- 20mm. Or I have to change the upper triple for a KX250 one where I can put 28.6mm top yokes.

What do you think ?
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: The eternal handlebar question

Post by royadams »

Im 6'3 and dont like my bars high, but i ride sitting alot.i put on lower pegs to help when i do stand. I would stick to 7/8 bars or get a upper. I dont believe you can get low enough bars to over come the adapters. At that point you wont gain anything over the bars you have now. To bad your not from the us, i would send you a 250 upper. Ive recently installed an aftermarket one on my bike to move the bars forward.
ced64k
Supporting Member

Post by ced64k »

royadams wrote:i put on lower pegs
Which pegs ?
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Fastway
Pinned

Post by Pinned »

Taller guys have a bit more trouble with proper ergonomics on the KDX. I would adjust the bars forward and reverse and see if you can find a happy position before buying new. I always set my bars so when I'm in a neutral standing position I can draw a straight line from my elbow through my hands, no wrist break. After that I rotate the controls to keep my hands in line.