Lighting questions I haven't found answers to on here

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Jpm1109

Post by Jpm1109 »

So I bought a 2001 KDX200 3 weeks ago and found that, sometime in its past, someone clipped the wires to the tail light and left the headlight socket dangling in the wind. There also 2 clipped wires near the head light socket (gonna try to include pics).

My questions are:
1. If the socket is still there, what are the two clipped wires for? (One red, one yellow)
2. Can I just clip the socket off and splice in a aftermarket 18w LED headlight?
3. Can I splice in a 3157 automotive socket for a tail light (which I was thinking of plugging a LED bulb into)?

I also plan to augment the headlight with a LED flood light (also 18w).
My coil is stock but I am looking for that upgraded coil that someone else posted about in another thread. I'm not sure the stock coil will run all those LEDs (if I can figure out the wiring).

This noob appreciates any help you can offer. :grin:

Jpm1109

Re: Lighting questions I haven't found answers to on here

Post by Jpm1109 »

I guess those wires are for the switch :bravo:
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Lighting questions I haven't found answers to on here

Post by ohgood »

if you use incandescent for the tail, it will help load the circuit to make the led headlight brighter . there will be plenty of wattage from the stock stator for what you're intending.
craftman245

Post by craftman245 »

So the yellow and red wires should be positive wires from the lighting coil. The yellow wire comes from the lighting coil and runs to the headlight switch. A red wire runs from the headlight switch to the headlight socket; this wire splits off into another red wire somewhere in this area and runs to the tail light (it's hidden in the wire coverings). This red wire in the back should meet up with one of the wires coming out of the voltage regulator (mines a brown wire) and these two wires will connect to the positive side of the tail light bulb.

I can't tell you specifically what color each wire should be in the back; I have a 1990 KDX 200 and I'm not sure if Kawasaki changed up the wiring colors.

To me, it looks like the headlight socket has its red wire so the clipped red wire should run to the back of the bike to the tail light. The yellow wire should connect to the yellow wire coming up from the left side of the engine.

No reason why you can't clip the stock headlight and wire in a LED headlight. Let us know what you do so we a see it and copy it! :boogie:

You can wire in a 3157 socket...I've generally seen 1157 sockets used instead and they have LED bulbs for those.

Just keep in mind that the stock lighting coil is pretty weak (produces around 45 watts total) and is already mostly maxed out with the stock headlight and taillight.

Hope this helps!