Allen bolt on the bottom of the forks

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ProTaper KDX200

Post by ProTaper KDX200 »

So I am replacing the fork seals on my 06 KDX 200, old fork seals are already off and i go to take the 14mm allen head bolt on the bottom of the fork with an impact. Its freely loose but wont turn all the way off so i can seperate the leg from the housing.. HELP?
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

If you don't have the tool to hold the damper rod from turning, which I guess you don't. The other alternative is to compress the fork as much as you can then try the impact while holding it compressed, the fork spring will be putting pressure on the damper rod while you have it compressed. After you have it apart you can easily see what you need to make a tool to hold the rod from turning. I made one from a piece of 1/2 inch metal conduit and a large nut that I ground to fit in the damper rod and used an old bolt for a tee at the top of the conduit to hold onto. good luck
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Allen bolt on the bottom of the forks

Post by Julien D »

Without some form of damper rod holding tool, an impact driver is the only thing that's worked for me. Happy first post on KDXRIDER.