2001 KDX200 blowing excessive smoke/oil

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
minined

Post by minined »

Need some help here. My son has a KDX200, 2001 model. We bought this second hand, but is in great nick. The only problem is it blows a **** load of smoke & oil out the exhaust. It pulls fine through the whole rev range. Have put a new needle & seat in the carby & checked the jets. All are standard. Have mucked around with the mixture screw to no avail. We are running it on 95 octane premium unleaded at 40:1 Belray synthetic oil. Any help would be appreciated!
ced64k
Supporting Member

Re: 2001 KDX200 blowing excessive smoke/oil

Post by ced64k »

Have you checked the gearbox oil level ?
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

lower the needle all the way.
maybe the crankshaft seal on the right side is letting gearbox oil into the engine.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
minined

Post by minined »

Have kept an eye on this & doesn't seem to have dropped in level since we have owned it. Been 12 months now. It is really heavy on fuel as well!
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

minined wrote:Need some help here. My son has a KDX200, 2001 model. We bought this second hand, but is in great nick. The only problem is it blows a **** load of smoke & oil out the exhaust. It pulls fine through the whole rev range. Have put a new needle & seat in the carby & checked the jets. All are standard. Have mucked around with the mixture screw to no avail. We are running it on 95 octane premium unleaded at 40:1 Belray synthetic oil. Any help would be appreciated!
what size jets?
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

possibly worn piston rings ?
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
minined

Post by minined »

Currently running a #160 main jet, but have ordered down to #155. Needle is set dead centre, but in the processs of fiddling a bit more. Don't want to tear the bike down too much yet as he has an enduro coming up in a week. Plug is a very dark brown colour, indicating running rich, but there are no carbon deposits, so not entirely convinced it's crank seals. Probably look at full rebuild at the end of the season, but has always been VERY smoky & heavy on fuel.
minined

Post by minined »

ced64k wrote:Have you checked the gearbox oil level ?
Yep but its not using any.
minined

Post by minined »

ohgood wrote:
minined wrote:Need some help here. My son has a KDX200, 2001 model. We bought this second hand, but is in great nick. The only problem is it blows a **** load of smoke & oil out the exhaust. It pulls fine through the whole rev range. Have put a new needle & seat in the carby & checked the jets. All are standard. Have mucked around with the mixture screw to no avail. We are running it on 95 octane premium unleaded at 40:1 Belray synthetic oil. Any help would be appreciated!
what size jets?
Running standard #160 main jet!
minined

Post by minined »

Jaguar wrote:possibly worn piston rings ?
Haven't measured the compression as yet, but seems to be pretty good, Will test when we get the carby back on!
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

minined wrote:
ohgood wrote:
what size jets?
Running standard #160 main jet!

ya, 160 would blow fuel out the pipe, on mine. every bike is different but 160 would make me expect to see bad economy and lots of smoke/spooge.

order a jet block gasket today from jets r us and you can install it to test this weekend. easy to do, and a common failure point.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

all stock jetting on all bikes are a tad rich for less possibility of seizures of the piston
hrchins

Post by hrchins »

Did you happen to figure anything out? Having the same issue with my bike. 2004 200 on 40:1

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
TeamDoty
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TeamDoty »

"ohgood" may have hit it... I'd second the suggestion to replace the jet block gasket.

I have a 2002 model and it was smoking a lot regardless of other settings, mixture, etc. Lots of splooge, and I was going through fuel as if I had a hole in the bottom of the tank.

I replaced the jet block gasket (even though mine did not look bad - one small crack in it or a bad seal can cause the problems) and now my KDX runs way more efficiently and the smoke/splooge is in an amount I expect.

Check out this thread for more info on the gasket, where it is, how to replace it and a possible source to purchase it... good luck!:::

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... et#p183614
IceCold4x4

Post by IceCold4x4 »

I was having the same issues stepped down to a 155 main and 42 pilot and replaced the jet block gasket and the smoke was almost gone. Still some splooge but that might have more to do with still having a 25:1 mix in the tank. I'll drop to a 150 for my next outing judging by how she still felt fat and burned alot of fuel. But like oh good said these things are way rich at factory settings in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
1997 KDX 200 - FMF pipe and silencer and I have no clue what else yet.
2000 ZRX1100 - 1109 big bore, ZX11 carbs / cams/ double valve springs / igntion box / Kerker exhaust. It's Mad Max black and fast but rarely clean
2006 Volvo XC90 V8 - The toy hauler and sleeper. 300hp and AWD in a soccer mom SUV.