Must...dualsport....let the rebuld begin!

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
david

Re: Got it to idle, then she locked up!

Post by david »

gabegarcia wrote:By the butterfly I mean the flap that opens up where the carb fits into the boot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
You're going to need to post a picture of the this....I have no clue what you're talking about.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I think he is referring to a carb that uses a butterfly or rotating plate to control air flow.

KDXs as well as most dirt bikes use carbs that have slides.
gabegarcia

Post by gabegarcia »

Crap, I forgot that dirt bikes didn't have slides! Ive moved to motorcycles so got them mixed haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Yea, I figured you were referring to something else lol

I got two photos of the bike while it was running, before it crapped out on me! Figured I'd share.

Working on getting the motor out. Started on it last night, then people stopped by the garage and I ended up drinking some beers and socializing.
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You gotta get the people that stop by to help. You know, drink beers and tear a bike down. That's what it's really all about. :partyman:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

O yea, I agree! That does happen quite often, I was just disgusted at the time lol

I got the motor out last night and pulled the head. I was cringing because when I pulled the pipe out of the cylinder, a bunch of little metal chunks fell out. Here is what I found:

I am hoping the cylinder can be weld repaired. One side has a good chunk taken out, the other side opposite of it has a bit of a nick in it too but not as bad. I am guessing that a bottom end rebuild is in order also.. I'm sure those metal pieces found their way down there.

Any guesses as to what caused the failure at this point?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Unless there is a lot of carbon covering up the numbers on a Wiseco, I am guessing that is a cast piston that broke.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

It has the circular machining marks in the top of it as well as an enscribed "C" and an arrow. I can't remember exactly, but I think those were the same scribings on Wiseco that I just put into the other bike, the arrow for sure.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

A Wiseco should have a series of numbers and a few letters on the top that identify that piston.

A simple "c" on the top would be a cast piston.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Got it to idle, then she locked up!

Post by IDRIDR »

Kinda like this stock piston out of my 220?

2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

:doh: :cry: :oops:

Yeap... took someone's word for it, and never should have...even after several warnings to still check it. My own dumb fault.

That's a stocker that came apart alright.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Ouch !!!!!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Ouch, that hurts. That cylinder will have to be repaired and re-plated, and you're gonna want to split the bottom and and clean all that out. Might as well do a rod kit and crank bearings / seals while you're at it.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Self inflicted pain always hurts just a little more. . .

Taking a positive outlook on this, now you can rebuild it all and have an engine that is better than the day it was sitting on the showroom floor and will last 20 years.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Without seeing the piston outside the cylinder, I would look at a ring or ring guide pin catching the port edge.

Sorry for your troubles.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
TheGriz
Supporting Member

Post by TheGriz »

Man, what a bummer. Good luck with your rebuild.
1987 KDX 80
1991 KDX 200
2005 GasGas EC250
2011 GasGas EC300
2008 KTM 300
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

yupp, the stock one came apart....came apart good too lol

Then I started pulling apart the KIPS...

could barely pull the main valve out because it was all so gunked up

pieces of cylinder came out with the sub valves

lots of caca in there

Does it look like anything is wrong with the head? I feel like the one on the other bike was a lot smoother

It's safe to say this thing was not happy when it was running haha This top end that the guy told me had about 10 hours on a top end was slightly worse than the top end that the guy said hadn't been touched in 10 years (which it had a stock piston too, just found it in the garage lol)

I think I'm going to send the cylinder out for weld repair and replate. There really didn't look to be any further damage than what was shown in the earlier post. For the bottom end, I'll have it taken apart and gone through by a friend's grandfather who has a bike repair shop. What other kind of stuff should I just automatically have him replace since its apart besides the crank bearings? Water pump seal? Anything else?

I was thinking the same about the reliability after the rebuild. I won't have to worry about if its ok or not anymore also which will make me feel a lot better.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The head looks pretty hosed. Maybe shoot it off to RB and see if he can repair it and do his magic 220 head mod? The bottom end, while it's open, do all the bearings and all the seals. Everything else will probably be just fine.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Got it to idle, then she locked up!

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Daaang man that sucks! Especially when it's from somebody not being honest. But, as was mentioned, at least now you can build it up the way you want it. Just sucks it happened so soon right after you got it. Hopefully you can get her back to going here soon!

Even though mine is a 200 and still runs like a dream, I'm thinking I may want to put a piston in it here before too long..... juuuuuust to be on the safe side. It is getting "a few" hours on it, lol :shock:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Yea it sucks, but o well. You are right, I can built it as I want and will know that it will be reliable (peace of mind goes a long way for me!).

It looks like the truck needs new tires before winter, so I guess that expense is taking priority over rebuilding this motor right now. Look like I'll be doing the rebuild over the winter to be ready for the 2017 season. I am thinking at the same time I'll swap the front end out with some USD's (forks on it now are in pretty rough shape).

Really on the fence about powder coating the frame and swingarm... I guess I'll have to see how busy I am when the time comes. I did buy some Kawi green powder and tested it out. It is a dead nuts match to the frame and plastic... really want to do more with it!

The wheels need trued also... Wondering if I should say screw it, tear em apart, powder coat the hub and rim, and reassemble with new spokes.

I dunno, I don't want this to end up going overboard like the hybrid did haha, but the potential is definitely there... new plastics, mx rear fender, change all the lights over to LED's, mount the plate under the fender, new hand guards and move the turn signals up to them, highwaydirtbikes.com dash, pro circuit or fatty pipe....