Must...dualsport....let the rebuld begin!

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Got it to idle, then she locked up!

Post by Tyl3r »

And the rebuild finally begins!

I finally got a chance to tear into the bottom end this evening. Everything was going smoothly until I went to split the cases. I started cranking down on the splitter and started to notice that the arms on it were bending pretty good. DUHHH!!! 4 bolts behind the stator plate needed to come out :shh: Pulled em out and it came apart no problem. Hopefully I didn't mess up anything up too bad. I can see gouges in the crank in a couple spots, so I think I'm going to send it out to have it gone over anyways. I just need to meet up with my buddy to use his press sometime this week to press the crank all the way out. Then I can send that and that and the cylinder to Millennium for them to work their magic. I hope it all goes together as easy as it came apart! Thanks to rbates9 for the great thread on case spiltting: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... ting+cases
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Yeeaaaa!! Hope all goes well during the re-assembly..... she'll be smoking again in no time :mrgreen: :supz:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Must...dualsport....let the rebuld begin!

Post by Tyl3r »

Thanks buddy! Just found out that another guy working with me is picking up a dual sport ready KTM350 next week. So I'm even more moto-vated to get it goin now lol I was looking on Google Earth and we got a whole mess of spots to ride at lunchtime... I hope I don't get in trouble for coming in with some mud on my khaki's :naughty: :lol:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

My cylinder and crank are set to be delivered tomorrow :boogie: Can't wait! :supz:

Also, just wanted to share... Partszilla is killing it with the OEM parts prices lol. Looking for main bearings, the cheapest I could find anywhere for OEM was 25 bucks a piece. Partszilla has em for less than 17! They were cheaper on all of the other parts I ordered too. You may wanna check there when looking for OEM stuff!

Hopefully won't be much longer now! I think this is my honey-do list to get back to terrorizing the streets:
-replace main bearings and seals
-reassemble bottom end, new oil
-clean KIPS and reassemble top end
-replace wheel bearings and seals
-true front and rear wheels
-have fork seals/bushings replaced, new oil

Then, after I ride it for a bit, I can:
-step up to 14T front sprocket (or maybe look at other gearing options)
-clean up the retro lights for something more "modern" (LED markers would be nice...I hate the BD headlight)
-upgrade mirrors
-build a sumo wheelset
-USD forks (maybe next year)
-replace old style FMF woods pipe with a Pro Circut
-add some kewl 90's KDX graphics
-I'm sure I'll come up with more :pop:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on the continued rebuild.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Thanks!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

They fixed up the cylinder pretty nice if you ask me! Crank's rebuilt and balanced. Everything's all nice and clean :boogie:
I know that it has been said plenty of times on this site, but I'll say it anyways. Great work from Millennium Technologies! Quality is top notch!

Can't wait for my bearings and seals to come so I can continue on with this sucker
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Wow that looks great! I'm sending mine into Millenium whenever I finally get around to doing a top (and prob bottom) ends. Did they rebuild your stock crank? That's what I'm looking to do.... trying to stay away from aftermarket stuff as much as I can

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it run to have your cylinder fixed and crank rebuilt? My buddy Scott still has his old KTM 200 that seized up badly last year after the rod bearing failed and needles went everywhere and gouged the cylinder really bad. He ended up just sticking it in the shed and buying another bike, but would like to fix this one back up eventually
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Heck yea, I'm impressed. They rebuilt the stock crank with a Hot Rods kit and balanced it.

I think all together after return shipping, it was about $450. For the cylinder, that was repair, replate, machine/hone to match piston (I sent my own piston, rather than buy theirs). For the crank, that's a parts kit, labor and balancing.

A little more than I wanted to spend but not too bad. They are pretty good with listing their prices on their website. After seeing the results, I would definitely recommend them.

On my hybrid, I used Power Seal USA because they are located closer to me. I can't compare them directly, but the quality of work seemed to be just as good between the two cylinders (top notch for both). My only gripe about Power Seal is that they charge you if you forget to pull out any alignment pins, studs, seals, etc. They charged me 20 bucks to pop out the 2 seals for the kips center shaft (my dumb fault for missing them). I made sure I pulled those out when sending to Millennium, but forgot about 3 alignment pins... they didn't charge me to remove them. That's the only negative, and its really not even a big deal. I probably would have used Power Seal again this time around, but didn't know if they did cranks or not too. I knew Millennium did, so I went with them.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Must...dualsport....let the rebuld begin! [DONE]

Post by Tyl3r »

After about a million tiny set-backs, I finally have this thing back together!

This was my first time splitting cases and replacing all the bearings and seals. I was nervous about it at first, but found that it wasn't that bad. Huge thanks to all the info I found on this site to help me out every step along the way!

She is running beautifully. I was nervous when I went to start it for the first time and it didn't want to start on the first 3 kicks. I stopped and thought about it for a second and realized I had to turn the key on :doh: :shh: haha once I turned it on, fired first kick! No leaks or anything anywhere, runs great. It also idles! haha that was my initial problem when I got the bike, guess its fixed now! May need to play with the jetting a tiny bit, going to try to run through the jetting guide the next time I have a change to play with it. Right now I'm running 42/148 with the stock needle either on the 2nd or 3rd clip from the top.

Only problem now is I think the battery for the Baja Designs kit could be on its way out already? I probably should have done something to charge it over the winter, rather than letting it sit. My headlights seem to work intermittently. The signals, horn and taillight all seem to be ok though. I'm wondering if it is having a problem holding charge and the lights are only working off of the stator. I have the Ricky Stator high output one in there, so that shouldn't be the problem. I dunno. Anyone else have problems with it after letting it sit for a year?

Anyways, I'm having a blast on this thing! Soo much fun to be riding down the road then just cut off in the woods, through a field, up a hill...wherever I want! :boogie:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations! :bravo:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Yeeaaa awesome!! Congrats buddy.... glad she's back on the road and running great :grin: :supz: :bravo:

I think my BD battery is about dead too..... if I leave the key on for a minute or two with the headlight on it'll start to die (I'm LED everything, mind you). Ricky Stator sells a similar battery that's physically a little bigger but has a LOT more mAh than the BD one does. It lists the dimensions on their website.... I think it should still fit in there. That's what I was gonna try here before too long. I need to get the high output stator coil as well.... gotta get her ready for a big trip :grin: