Carb Bowl Screw Size?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Carb Bowl Screw Size?

Post by Tyl3r »

I'd like to replace the carb bowl Phillips screws with socket head cap screws. When I look at the parts fische, it says they are 223AB0416 - SCREW-PAN-WS-CROS,4X16 Does this mean they are M4 x 0.7 - 16mm long ? Going to order some through McMaster Carr once I have the thread confirmed, I'll have a bunch of extras if anyone else is interested in getting some.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Carb Bowl Screw Size?

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Yup you are correct... M4 x 16mm. You gonna go with the stainless allen head bolts? Hate those damn phillips head bolts, I cringe and cross my fingers every time I have to take them off, lol

If you have an Ace hardware or Fastenal local to you, they're both great places for getting stuff like this. I've been replacing every bolt on my bike with stainless
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Carb Bowl Screw Size?

Post by Tyl3r »

I agree on the comment about the stainless bolts. The material grades are different as well. For example, if you replace a grade 10.9 bolt with a regular stainless bolt from the H/W store, you just put a weaker bolt in there. I don't think that would be the case with everything, just saying. Rather than replacing every bolt, I usually clean them up and always put either some grease or anti-cease on the threads of everything.

I'd have to say that I am more scared of stripping the Philips heads on the little screws, than I am stripping the threads out in the carb body.

And thanks for making me think of Fastenal, I always forget about them. The two stores near me both stock what I need. Now if I can just get there before they close one day, that would be grrrreeeaaaaat
Jim B

Carb Bowl Screw Size?

Post by Jim B »

thirdgenlxi wrote:Hate those damn phillips head bolts, I cringe and cross my fingers every time I have to take them off, lol
Well, they're aren't really Phillips heads, they're JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard). That's why they have the little 'dot' next to the 'cross.' If you get yourself some JIS screwdrivers, they should work better. (The ends of the cross are square on the JIS screws; not so on the Phillips.)
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Wow lol I can't believe I haven't came across that yet (I had to google it for more info)... I always thought a phillips was a phillips... guess you learn something new everyday!
bob_jones

Carb Bowl Screw Size?

Post by bob_jones »

Jim B wrote:
thirdgenlxi wrote:Hate those damn phillips head bolts, I cringe and cross my fingers every time I have to take them off, lol
Well, they're aren't really Phillips heads, they're JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard). That's why they have the little 'dot' next to the 'cross.' If you get yourself some JIS screwdrivers, they should work better. (The ends of the cross are square on the JIS screws; not so on the Phillips.)
What. The. Actual. F.
This explains so much. I have been doing it wrong this whole time. You have brought sight to the blind. Mind = blown :prayer:
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Tyl3r wrote:I agree on the comment about the stainless bolts. The material grades are different as well. For example, if you replace a grade 10.9 bolt with a regular stainless bolt from the H/W store, you just put a weaker bolt in there. I don't think that would be the case with everything, just saying.
Yep, you definitely need to be careful about where you are swapping stainless. Most of the stainless you get at the hardware stores is really pretty soft.
Jim B

Carb Bowl Screw Size?

Post by Jim B »

bob_jones wrote:You have brought sight to the blind. Mind = blown :prayer:
I'm awesome...LOL. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: