Looks like I'm getting another KDX...

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Looks like I'm getting another KDX...

Post by Tyl3r »

Thats good to hear, my ride to work is about 40 mins each way also!

The Trailtech doesnt have a wire that you wrap around the spark plug wire for the tach?

And yea...an update would be nice haha I see on the BD website that they have a DS kit with an modern LED headlight that looks freakin sweet... but I can't justify dropping $899.95 on it! http://www.bajadesigns.com/pc_product_d ... CC132203FC

What is everyone's thoughts on the Ricky Stator 85w unit that they have for the KDX? I get a little nervous when it comes to electrical things (I have fairly limited knowledge with that stuff) and I don't have any soldering tools... I was thinking this could be the safe route for me vs doing a rewind http://www.rickystator.com/product/stat ... coil-89-on
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

The trailtech Does have a wire to wrap. That's how mine is done.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Ok cool, that's what I was hoping for.

Got the KFX title in the mail yesterday, planning to go do the transfer and pick up my third KDX today! :lol: :boogie: :supz: :rock: pretty excited lol
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Nice! We need more pics!
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Excellent!! Glad to hear it! :supz:

And yea pics are definitely a must :grin:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Wow... yesterday was a stressful day...but it all turned out alright in the end. I took a half day from work and called the title place on my way home to see what I needed. She said I needed insurance on the bike before I could get the plate. Getting the plate after the title transfer is quite a bit more difficult in PA i guess, so I need it now. So ok, called the insurance company, they said no prob, but they need the vin. So I had to wait until 4:00 for the seller to get out of work and provide me with the VIN, the insurance place closed at 5:00. She got the vin and ran it. Called me back and said "its telling me this should be a ORV, it would be much cheaper to go that route, how about we just insure it as an ORV?" HOLD YOUR HORSES! I explained the situtation and that I did my reasearch and that everything should be valid. She went back and forth with people at her office, and still said it has to be an ORV. I explained it has a motorcycle title, not a ORV title and was able to get a photo of the title and I sent it to her. 5 minutes after she got the photo, she called back and said that was all we needed to see, and she e-mailed me my temp registration cards right then and there...at 4:55....just in time! Phew... transfer went thru just fine, and I got my plate without an issue!

Soooooo excited now! lol never thought i'd have a plated one of these!
Finally home:

Everything she came with...including the PA MC plate! :boogie:

And here she is with her slutty step-sister! haha

After talking about the bike more with the seller, he said the guy he bought the bike from assured him up and down that it has a Wiseco piston in it and 0 ride time on it when he got it. He said it was only heat cycled and then he only put 10, maybe 20 hours on it. So, while I still want to pull the head to be 100% sure, I think this motor should be pretty fresh and reliable for me. I plan to order a BD dual sport kit, a trail tech Vapor, and a Ricky Stator 85w stator in the next day or two. Along with some wheel bearings, and possibly swing arm bearings. After that, inspection time :lol:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Just another thought.... will I need to run an MX rear fender in order for the BD rear fender attachment to mount correctly?
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

I used a different rear light. The BD one is huge. Look on rockymountain they have many small Enduro ones with the little fender. I just bolted a Enduro engineering plate holder to the lower mud flap.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Just a thought but since you have other woods bikes have you thought about going supermoto?

I converted one of my bikes and its a blast!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Well... my plan is to ultimately have 3 or 4 sets of wheels that I can switch between the two bikes. 1 of those sets will most certainly have 17" rims and street tires! I'd also like one set for dual sporting, and two sets for the dirt. Part of that would include swapping out the front end. A KX125 front end would definitely be ideal. But I'm not even thinking about that right now, that's later... after I can get rid of some credit card debt haha

Thanks for the tail light link. I'm starting to think now that maybe I shouldn't pull the trigger on the BD kit. I already have a headlight. I'm thinking about using a different rear fender. Besides those two parts, its a horn, signals, handlebar controls, and little battery that I would need? (I'd also need a key, speedo, & stator, but I was getting those separately anyways) Maybe I should just piece the DS kit together and save some cashola... Did that Acerbis one bolt right up to your stock KDX fender without issue? It seems like on the MX bikes, the fender is longer and allows more length to mount the taillight bracket. I worry the flat part on the KDX fender won't be long enough to mount it properly.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

You just need to trim it. Use only the two bolts closest to the plate. As for the kit you need the rec to convert AC to DC and brake pressure switches , flasher, relays ect. Also don't know if you have motorcycle inspections but if so headlight and tires need to be DOT. I use kenda track masters. They are great in the dirt and dot. On the street they do well too but you have to be careful.
Last edited by s10gto on 05:07 pm Jul 27 2016, edited 1 time in total.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

For SM parts. Jim is the man!

Www.Motoxindustries.com
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Awesome!! Glad to see you got it, and even more so able to get the tag and everything too :supz: :grin: You'll love it as a dual sport and sumo..... sooooo much fun

BTW I know you said you might not, but trust me.... just go with the BD kit. It'll save you a lot of headaches. Most of the stuff you're wanting to add is going to run off 12v DC, not the AC of the bike. That leaves a lot of wiring to do yourself, along with finding places to mount stuff (including a regulator/rectifier). BD kit is plug and play, and you're done. Trust me...... it's worth it, lol

Soooooooo you gonna come ride with us in WV this weekend?? :grin: (see where I quoted one of your replies in a post in the intro forum)
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

s10gto wrote:For SM parts. Jim is the man!

http://Www.Motoxindustries.com
Definitely is! That's who i got my wheels from...... love them! And was the best price too. Got all Warp 9 stuff, for about $300 less than getting it... from Warp 9, lol. Figure that one out, haha

s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Nice Sumo thirdgenlxi !

Sticky tires and 2 stroke....there is no way I could behave myself :busted:
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

s10gto wrote:Nice Sumo thirdgenlxi !

Sticky tires and 2 stroke....there is no way I could behave myself :busted:
Thanks! Yea it is entirely tooooooooo much fun, lol. You wouldn't think it would be on a smaller bike, but it is do sooooo easy to speed.... As in typical 2 stroke fashion, it doesn't want to putt around, it just wants to GO!!!! Hahah

I absolutely love this bike...... LOVE IT!! :mrgreen:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Pulled the trigger on the BD DS kit, a Vapor, and an 85w stator from Ricky Stator. Took your advice... I will gladly pay a little more to avoid a wiring headache/nightmare! Hopefully next week sometime I'll get that stuff thrown on!

THe bike actually has Trackmasters on it now, I was thinking that I'd have to be careful with it. What do you guys run for a dualsport rear tire? A buddy of mine runs a trials tire in the back on his KTM 350, but I don't know what he has upfront. I was thinking about going that route, but I don't know which one I'd get.

I'll definitely check out MotoX Industries when I get to that point. I like the SM kits and how they come with all the brake stuff too. Pretty sweet! Stop showing me pictures of your bike with SM wheels and tires on it! hahaha I want em sooo bad and everytime I see your bike like that, it makes it worse! hahaha the bank account still has yet to recover from the Hybrid build that's finally almost done... :wah:

I saw your post about riding, thanks for the invite! Wish I could join ya, I just have so much crap going on these days, I can barely find the time to go out for a couple hours a week... and I ride right from my house, not like I have to go anywhere. O well, it will be ON next season, should have more time and I'll have two bikes fully ready to go by then.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Look forward to your progress. You will not be disappointed....well unless you really like wrenching on your bike because the BD kit might last 45 mins. Lol

As far as pic OK fine no more pics for you.

This one is for your buddy. :lol:

My 350

http://i.picresize.com/UBQc
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

:drool: :bravo: That is one bad husky!

You guys are freakin killin me!