Looks like I'm getting another KDX...

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Looks like I'm getting another KDX...

Post by s10gto »

Thanks! I thought to myself why have another woods bikes when I all ready have a legendary KDX!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Good point...

I got my Ricky Stator 85w stator in the mail today and a flywheel puller. I think I'm all ready to go, just don't know what the two wires on it should connect to? I don't have it apart yet, so I'm guessing it will be blatantly obvious? Haven't been inside of there yet. If its not obvious, what do I connect them to? Will I be able to get away without any soldering (crimp connectors and heat shrink??).

Also, I've heard things on forums about people receiving RS stators and something about them was incorrect? Any way for me to check the correctness of this stator before installing? Any info or help would be much appreciated.... i'm an electrical n00b
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Ok, got it apart, I see how it goes. I'll be able to solder it
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Power was out at work this morning and I had off until noon. So, I ran out and bought a solder gun and solder, soldered in the new stator, closed it all up and took it for a ride, all seems to be good. I forgot to take a photo of it all together, but here's a shot of the RS stator compared to the stock:

I have noticed that once the bike gets warm, it doesn't want to idle. It will idle just fine when cold, but one cruise down to the end of the road and back and it wants to shut off almost as soon as you let off. I noticed that the air screw looks to be screwed all the way in. I tried screwing it out and back in with the bike running and it didn't make a change, just wants to die. Does this mean my pilot jet is too small? I'm gonna take the carb off and see what's in there as soon as I have some time, and go from there.
Last edited by Tyl3r on 01:19 pm Aug 02 2016, edited 1 time in total.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Did you try just turning the idle up? Its probably just set to low and once it warms up and goes to low idle it drops out
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Isn't the screw all the way in, max idle?
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

You talking about the air screw or the idle screw?
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I thought they were one in the same? The black, flat head screw
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

The black one is the idle screw, the small little brass one below it is the air screw. If the air screw is off, the idle screw will have little effect. I would run the air screw in all the way, then back it out 1.5 turns..... start there and see what happens
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Well, I came home to a big Baja Designs box on my front step yesterday :boogie:

Started into it and got most of it done, just have a few questions that I was hoping someone would know the answer to.

- for the keyed ignition switch... it goes to 4 wire plug. At that plug, a black/white and a blue/white come out separately with bullet connectors. At each bullet connector, another wire comes out with a bullet connector, so its essentially a Y-connection. I know that two of the bullet connectors go to an extension harness that connects where the old kill switch connector was, and the other end to the ground on the ignition coil, like the old kill switch. But, since there is a Y-connection where that extension ties into the kill switch, what do I do with the other 2 connections at that point? I can't find anything else that I could see them going to? Perhaps something with the light, so the key can control the light? Or if they are unused, I'd like to tape them up to keep moisture out.

- On the ignition coil, I mentioned above the the one connection goes to the ground on the coil where the old kill switch connected. Can the top bolt on the coil be used for a ground connection? I think it can, just wanted to double check?

- How did you tie into the yellow stator wire? Did you make the connection behind/inside of the ignition cover? Or did you tap into the harness somewhere? For the two wires that go to the stator (one ground, and one to the yellow wire), does the ground have to connected directly to the ground on the stator? Or can it be connected to any grounding point on the frame?

-Since this kit is converting over to a DC signal for all its components, do I need the stock regulator? I'm not running the stock headlight or taillight, so no use for that anymore? I know I took it off my hybrid because I wasn't running either of those things and its running just fine.

I'm at work, hoping you guys know what I'm talking about just off descriptions... I'll take photos tonight and give better descriptions when I get home. I was just hoping to get whatever info I could during the day, so I can keep working on it when I get home. Please bear with me lol... I'm not the best with electrical stuff. I do my best, but I have a lot to learn. I'm not an idiot though lol I know some basics!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

thirdgenlxi wrote:The black one is the idle screw, the small little brass one below it is the air screw. If the air screw is off, the idle screw will have little effect. I would run the air screw in all the way, then back it out 1.5 turns..... start there and see what happens
And o yea! I forgot about this! I am going to try that, haven't had time to play with this bike in the daytime. (live in a townhouse, neighbors don't like hearing a two stroke when its dark) It looks like both the idle and air screws are turned in as far as they can go. I will give that a try, thanks for the tip!
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

I'm going off memory here as it's been awhile, and I don't remember some of the stuff, but I believe on the key switch, I think I had to cut one of the bullet connectors off and use an eyelet, and grounded it on one of the coil bolts (something else grounds there too, I believe). And then as you mentioned you can plug your old kill switch into those other 2 extra cinnectors (or just the one since I think the kill switch has 1 eyelet too)

The stator, I remember unplugging that yellow wire on the right side back by the airbox, right along the frame rail behind the number plate. I think the wire you unplug from it (which I would assume goes to the stock regulator) you just fold over and rape up, and plug the BD harness into the yellow wire. As far as I know the stock regulator isn't used anymore, but I just left it in there anyways..... I could be wrong on that

Another kinda weird thing, in the BD harness they only have a brake light switch for the rear brake, which seeemed absolutely silly to me for street riding.....I wanted the switch on the front brake, which makes a little more sense, I would think, lol. So I just routed the 2 wire circuit in that harness as far forward as I could, then the rest just made my own with a couple pieces of wire, bullet connectors, and heat shrinked the entire thing and ran it along with all the rest of the wires. You can get a long roll of the heat shrink tubing at the auto parts store for a couple bucks

Oh and have lots of zip ties, lol
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Wahoo! Got the kit all buttoned up and everything seems to work! Thanks for your help thirdgenlxi. I also put the brake switch on the front brake. I tried everything that I could to make the banjo sensor work on the back, but just couldn't do it. I think I'm going to try to get one of the lower profile ones and try it out back there. I also couldn't find a way that I was happy with to use the mechanical switch on the rear either.

Not too sure how I feel about the taillight/plate holder... at least it covers the hole where the old taillight use to be. I think I will eventually put an MX rear fender on it along with one of those Acerbis low pro ones with the lights that goes underneath

Soooo glad I went with this kit, rather than piece something together. I have no idea what all of this stuff does in here, but it looks like its put together nicely!

Here is something that I didn't think of... what are you guys doing with the hole in the front hub where the odo would connect? I really don't want to leave it open so crap can get in there and ruin it.

I pulled the carb off of it last night, hoping that she will want to idle after I clean everything up real good.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Looking great! As for the switch my bike has one with wires made in it. I used the one from BD for the front. The rear fits tight but it fits. I think they also make ones with the wires out the side.

For the speedo hole just go to a local auto parts store and you can get a body hole plug. ( I still need to do this and I am a autotech lol )

http://i.picresize.com/UP0m
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

I am not a fan of electronic switches but if you stick with it a h series has the mount for the switch under the side plate. Then you need a light spring and possibly a short small stainless cable to hook it up.

My klx is done this way without the cable as the switch is mounted closer.

http://i.picresize.com/UP0B
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Awesome...... Looks great!! And no prob..... Glad I could be of some help. Glad you're making progress and getting her going :grin:

When I still had the KDX forks I just filled that hole on the speed sensor packed full with some good waterproof grease. Seemed to work good. But a plug as mentioned above works fine too.... Or if you don't care about it just clean it out and fill the end in with some silicone, lol.

And yea I tried the hydraulic switch on the rear too and couldn't get it to fit, with the reservoir almost right on top of the banjo fitting. I've seen low profile ones though where it's angled off to the side. I still don't have anything hooked up to my rear..... I use front brake more than anything anyways

Btw you coming with us to WV next month?? There's a thread in group rides section
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

s10gto wrote:Looking great! As for the switch my bike has one with wires made in it. I used the one from BD for the front. The rear fits tight but it fits. I think they also make ones with the wires out the side.

For the speedo hole just go to a local auto parts store and you can get a body hole plug. ( I still need to do this and I am a autotech lol )

http://i.picresize.com/UP0m
Thanks! and hmmm.... I have that same one on my 400ex rear brake, I think I ordered it from Parts unlimited. The more I think about it, it basically looks like the BD one, but without the rubber boot. I should have took that freakin boot of and tried to fit it :doh:

Body hole plug isn't a bad idea. I'll see what I can find, thanks for the tip!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

s10gto wrote:I am not a fan of electronic switches but if you stick with it a h series has the mount for the switch under the side plate. Then you need a light spring and possibly a short small stainless cable to hook it up.

My klx is done this way without the cable as the switch is mounted closer.

http://i.picresize.com/UP0B
If I mounted the switch using that hole, the run from the switch to the brake lever would be more than a foot long. I couldn't envision a way to make that work nicely and reliably. I also didn't want the switch to stick out anywhere in fear I would break it off with my boots. O well. I'll get a another banjo switch and see what I can do eventually.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

thirdgenlxi wrote:Awesome...... Looks great!! And no prob..... Glad I could be of some help. Glad you're making progress and getting her going :grin:

When I still had the KDX forks I just filled that hole on the speed sensor packed full with some good waterproof grease. Seemed to work good. But a plug as mentioned above works fine too.... Or if you don't care about it just clean it out and fill the end in with some silicone, lol.

And yea I tried the hydraulic switch on the rear too and couldn't get it to fit, with the reservoir almost right on top of the banjo fitting. I've seen low profile ones though where it's angled off to the side. I still don't have anything hooked up to my rear..... I use front brake more than anything anyways

Btw you coming with us to WV next month?? There's a thread in group rides section
Thanks! I'm glad it is too! Negative on the silly-cone lol I have found that a complete KDX front end is pretty desirable in these parts, sells very quickly lol I'll prob pack it with grease then put a plug in it.

And I would absolutely love to join you guys, but I can't. Going on Vaca next week and I'll be tapped on vaca days at work. That, and the two bikes have basically ran me dry haha I don't have any extra cash for doing fun stuff! I know... :wah: