water pump options

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
superfsh

water pump options

Post by superfsh »

I have a 2003 200 that needs a new water pump cover and probably a new impeller due to a trail crash. I would also like to improve the cooling performance of the cooling system since I have to replace some parts anyways. Looking for suggestions from the experienced audience. :)
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: water pump options

Post by Tedh98 »

Engine ice maybe. I guess you could bolt on some larger radiators.

But I dont recall hearing many problems about the KDX overheating. If you are having problems it could be as simple as your current radiators having too much deposits/buildup in them.
superfsh

water pump options

Post by superfsh »

Yep, been running Engine Ice and a higher pressure radiator cap, too. Haven't tested those changes yet.
I might need an impeller. Definitely need a new water pump cover plate. Are there any aftermarket options available?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

water pump options

Post by Tedh98 »

superfsh wrote:Are there any aftermarket options available?
I have never looked, but I doubt it.

If you are looking for used parts, I am sure I have at least a couple of those that I could sell.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Nothing aftermarket that I know of. She stock system is perfectly capable.
MotoArts

Post by MotoArts »

Yep, if your KDX is running hot or overheating with the stock system in proper condition, it has other problems that need addressed.

Don't be fooled by the Chinese "high capacity" rad and high pressure cap claims... it's all snake oil.
They may work in a pinch if yours are damaged, but that's all. I had a set of those shiny rads and colored hoses that came with a '01 YZ250 that were installed by a previous owner. Left rad hit the cylinder head, one lower alloy tube was soldered slightly crooked, and 2 of the 4 hoses didn't fit at all.
JMO.
'97 KDX220, '84 YZ125, '81 YZ250, '78 RM250C2, '80 RM100T, '04 KTM 250SX,
'82 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo, survivor
superfsh

water pump options

Post by superfsh »

Inspection complete. Only damage is to the pump cover plate.
Does anyone know what years are compatible with the 2003 engine?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

superfsh wrote:Does anyone know what years are compatible with the 2003 engine?
All years of H series 200 and 220.
superfsh

water pump options

Post by superfsh »

Thanks for all the feedback. I found a used pump cover and flange on ebay for a fraction of a new one.

Regarding the hot running: the bike tended to overheat only when riding the mountain trails in the Cascades where there is an abundance of low speed climbing and subsequent clutch feathering. Lots of heat generated from feathering the clutch and not much air flow at lower speeds, say 8-12 miles per hour when climbing. It has Devol radiator guards and sometimes I think those inhibit airflow a little bit.

I run Dumode Tech full synthetic for premix oil. I used to run at 50:1 (a different bike I have uses this ratio) and have recently changed to 32:1 with the same oil. Jetting is factory. Pipe is a Gnarly with an FMF Q silencer. Gearing is 12/48. I haven't tested cooling performance in the mountains since leaning out the mixture. Radiator is clean, at least what you can see from the top.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

50:1 is not enough oil for the KDX. I don't care what any bottle says on it's label.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

water pump options

Post by 6 Riders »

superfsh wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. I found a used pump cover and flange on ebay for a fraction of a new one.

Regarding the hot running: the bike tended to overheat only when riding the mountain trails in the Cascades where there is an abundance of low speed climbing and subsequent clutch feathering. Lots of heat generated from feathering the clutch and not much air flow at lower speeds, say 8-12 miles per hour when climbing. It has Devol radiator guards and sometimes I think those inhibit airflow a little bit.

I run Dumode Tech full synthetic for premix oil. I used to run at 50:1 (a different bike I have uses this ratio) and have recently changed to 32:1 with the same oil. Jetting is factory. Pipe is a Gnarly with an FMF Q silencer. Gearing is 12/48. I haven't tested cooling performance in the mountains since leaning out the mixture. Radiator is clean, at least what you can see from the top.
Try using transmission fluid in the cases. I don't have overheating problems with this, my buddy used to overheat, he was running 15/40 motor oil.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
superfsh

Post by superfsh »

Julien D wrote:50:1 is not enough oil for the KDX. I don't care what any bottle says on it's label.
I thought it would be OK since a friend was racing (class A) his 200XC-W at 60:1 with Redline. After an entire season, he said he did a top end only because he couldn't believe his own eyes - the piston and rings showed very little wear.

In any event, I went back to 32:1 only because the manual says so...I doubt the content was created when synthetics were available. Still haven't had a chance to get back into the Cascade Mountains for a test.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

The ratio really depends on the oil. They make some more advanced oils than they did in the 90'same when this bike came out. I've been running 80:1 amsoil sabre. It says you can run it 100:1 regardless of what the book says. Its made for that. They guy at my local bike shop swears by it. Says he ran his $10k banshee on it for years it was awesome, the motor looked new everytime he rebuilt. I was skiddish but I'm doing it lol no problems so far.

Regardless, you can't just run less oil with any premix. It has to meant for that or you will have problems. Regular oils, I always did 40:1 with my other two KDX's and they ran happy for me. Too much oil really gunks up the power valves.

If you're overheating, did you check to make sure the rads are totally clear of trail debris and the fins are mostly straight? Could one of them be smashed? Anything that impedes coolant flow will hurt the cooling system. Might be worth pulling the radiators and flushing them real good with a cleaner. Overheating problems don't seem to be that common with these bikes.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike