Radiators coolant flow. Need some help

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Ffryno13

Radiators coolant flow. Need some help

Post by Ffryno13 »

So I boiled my motor over on a really tough climb last weekend. So I pressure tested my rads to see if there was a leak and got that fixed it was just a tiny pin hole in the top.

Note I'm thinking i should weld in a cross over from the bottom of my left rad to the bottom of my right.

Sorry I forgot to mention this is on my hybrid so the rads are much bigger then the kdx if that helps.

What I want to know is if having a low cross over will mess with the coolant flow?

s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Radiators coolant flow. Need some help

Post by s10gto »

I would think if you add a low crossover the water will bypass the radiators. Water is going to go the path of least resistance.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

My yz250 has crossovers top and bottom but water only enters one radiator.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

s10gto wrote:I would think if you add a low crossover the water will bypass the radiators. Water is going to go the path of least resistance.
That's what I thinking too but once I loose enough coolant then the water pump isn't pushing coolant from the right rad to the left rad. I figure with a cross over then I'll be able to have coolant flow even at half the volume
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

You may need to pick up a radiator comb and straighten the fins out. On a hot technical single track my 220 might see *190. You can also try waterless coolant. It does make a difference.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

I've been running water wetter and water with a 1.6bar cap. I'll try and straighten the fins out more. I would have thought running the bigger rmz rads that I'd avoid the over heating issues on the kdx.