Running Backwards

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Chilly

Running Backwards

Post by Chilly »

I put a stator coil on my bike. As I started my bike up and put it in gear it wants to go backwards. Timing marks are lined up and I even tried retarding it but nothing is working. How can I fix this issue?
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Running Backwards

Post by Jaguar »

turn the stator plate counter clockwise.
where did you get the stator coil from?
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Stator came from Rick. bike starts but takes some kicking. When it finally starts it runs like crap and in reverse. How much should I turn it. Like between the middle mark and the last mark or what. I trie moving it some in both directions but nothing changed.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

sometimes they make a mistake and wind them wrong which throw the timing way off. I'd return it.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Running Backwards

Post by 90SDKDX »

Did you get it from Rick's motorsports or Ricky Stator? I just had a similiar problem with my E series bike. The first coil I received was causing the bike to start with extreme difficulty. Just today I got a new one that was wrapped differently and it fired the forth kick and ran great! I would agree with Jaguar that you should get a warranty replacement.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Ok I will give that a try. Thanks for the help guys. I got the stator from rick stator. I didn't start hearing bad things until after i bought the coil. But it seems everyone that has bought from him has had to return it.
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

Both coils that I tried were from Ricky. I was a bit upset that the first one didn't work but after a week of diagnosing he decided to send me a new one. He didn't ask for the old one back so I didn't have to wait forever to get it. It could just be one batch that went bad.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Say the coil is good and its just way out of time. Is there any marks on the fly wheel or just the 3 marks on the coil plate?
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

There are only the three marks on the coil plate. You can go ahead or behind these marks but only as far the plate allows you. The slots in the plate where the three screws hold it on are what limit your ability to advance or retard the timing beyond the three marks. Most people seem to believe the three marks are the "limits" that the engineers set for reliability reasons, mostly so you don't over advance and cause engine failure. There are guys on here that said they've advanced it as far the plate allows and had no issues at all.

When I was having this issue I tried fully retarding and advancing the timing and it made no difference. If the coil is wound backwards then your spark is going to happen 180 degrees out of time. So rather than firing at top dead center it fires at bottom dead center, hence the running backwards.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Good to know. Thanks. How can I know if my coil is wound backwards. I'm guessing that I need to just advance of retard and if nothing changed its my coil.
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

The only true way is to try a good known coil. I was not able to start my bike at all until I reversed the wires myself with some jumper wires. After I did this I got it to start but had the same issues you are having now. Was the old coil completely bad or just about to fail? If it was still good enough to make the bike run you could throw it back on and see if it fires up properly.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Well I think it was on it's way out. I have a brand new top and bottom end on it. Got It running but it had no top end really. It was running forward lol. So I took it to a guy that knows everything about carbs thinking it that was problem. Well he calls me and says nothing he did made any difference at all and that he thinks my stator is failing. So I ordered just the coil from Rick and now I'm having a hard time starting and its kicking back real bad and running backwards. The old coil was soaked in oil and gas from a leaky tank and my seals busting. So now I have a brand new engine and it still won't work.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Well I called Rick Stator and he asked me if the wire coming out of the coil was on the top facing away from the bike or on the bottom facing the engine. It was on top. That's wrong. Wire should be facing the engine. Turned it around and I'm now running forward. Run like crap though. Needs to be timed
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

Chilly wrote:Well I called Rick Stator and he asked me if the wire coming out of the coil was on the top facing away from the bike or on the bottom facing the engine. It was on top. That's wrong. Wire should be facing the engine. Turned it around and I'm now running forward. Run like crap though. Needs to be timed
He asked me the same thing when I told him my situation. After I sent him a picture of the coil installed correctly (which I had already done) he then decided to send me a new coil. Hopefully you can fix yours by adjusting the timing.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

I ended up taken it to a shop. They found that the new coil is bad so they put my old one back on and found that the ignition coil was bad. Bike is running good now
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

Well good to hear it is running again. I don't know how an ignition coil would work fine in the low rpm range but not the upper. Maybe it was getting hot and shorting out, but then I'd think the bike would be dying out all together.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Well the stator was not the issue. It ended up being the ignition coil. I don't know much about about the electrical system so when someone said it was the stator I was like I can get one for 60 bucks. So I did and it ended up being no good anyways. Bike was hard to start and I couldn't get it timed. So I put the old one on and got a good used ignition coil and she runs good now. I learned a lot but I'm glad it's over